How do you track your repair and/or upgrade progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you track your repair and/or upgrade progress

With other cars I've owned, I've always found it to be a great advantage for inventorying the parts list, planning, and archiving the progress of the build with a spreadsheet. This way, one is able to stage out areas of focus such as engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes and wheels, etc. With some coordination with forum members, we may be able to create a "cannon" of sorts for upgrade paths in one easy and ready to digest document which could be added to and maintained in real time.

I mention the above with things like the Aspire brake upgrade or DIY coilovers from VW parts. I love the community aspect of automotive forums but I've always felt that it's been long overdue for another module for information retention besides having to search and dig then search and dig. A google spreadsheet or excel doc is what I'm talking here.

Most of my ideas are half baked and hair brained but, thoughts on this concept?
    Last edited by RobotKarate; 02-28-2017, 10:04 PM.
    1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
    1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
    1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Great idea! Most of the big things are stickied, but there is plenty that is not. Even though I was in the Festy game before I still needed to sift through a lot of threads to find answers that many would now consider common knowledge.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

There would need to be moderation in the form of "owners" of the sheets, those that would only be able to edit before users download. The sheets would only be viewable/downloadable in the first post of any "how-to" thread. The cool thing with Excel or spreadsheets in general are the rules which are user defined per column. Prices can be calculated, formulas applied, priority levels, etc. it's really endless.

Might be a verified user only section feature of the forum for protection.
      1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
      1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
      1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

I had bookmarked dozens of forum posts, as well as hundreds of Fourgreen parts and got fooled by a "refresh Firefox" click-on while troubleshooting a problem. It zapped away all of them. I learned after the fact, how I could've avoided that, but SMH.
        "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
        "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
        "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
        "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
        "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
        "Wenona"-89L parts car
        "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

a pen/pencil and a little lined notebook. i mean NASA probably has fancy spreadsheets and algorithms for the space shuttles and look what happened to a couple of them.

Comment

Working...
          X