No announcement yet.

Right Side Power Mirror Used Manually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Side Power Mirror Used Manually?

I searched the forum from a couple different angles and can't find an answer.

Can a right side power rear view mirror be used as a manual mirror ??

Question really is, can it be adjusted manually and will it stay where you put it ??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

steve

Probably, but you would just be stripping or wearing out the gears every time you adjust it.
    Last edited by RobotKarate; 03-17-2017, 01:09 PM.
    1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
    1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
    1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

They arent overly complex. Hook jumper cables to the wires to move it to where you want and then leave it there. Small adjustments manually agter that shouldnt hurt it too much.
      Ive moved them by hand before but it doesnt sound healthy.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have located a right mirror but it is a power unit. Might hold out for a manual one.

Comment

Isn;t there some sort of generic mirror available?

I recall I used to just turn the mirror all the way back when I'd drive the old 88 back and forth from Inania to California, because I was very much right lane all the way, and if I needed a right side view I could just as easily turn my head and look.

an easy does it need
          Last edited by harpon; 03-17-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

When pushing on the mirror, you risk breaking the plastic ears that are used for hanging.
            The mirror will vibrate and wobble even if one of the ears are cracked or broken. Aloha.

Comment

Just want a dependable right side mirror on a dependable 'common sense' car.

This Festy is the best value in a car that I've experienced over the past half a century. And I've owned a Helluva variety of cars.

I've enjoyed her over the past dozen years and rebuilt a number of systems over the past couple years and now she takes me and the wife fishing on a regular basis.

Wanting to add a few amenities like the right side mirror

I'll keep looking and find an original manual mirror and the wife, the fish and I will be very happy.

Steve

Comment

Steve, I've adjusted many a power mirror by hand with no ill affect. I'm most cases the gear teeth will just skip into the new position and stay there. Just slowly apply pressure.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

FestYboy,
                  That sounds reasonable to me. I'd think that they'd be designed for emergency manual adjustment without damaging mechanism on most vehicles.
                  Thanx.

Comment

Working...
                  X