No announcement yet.

Fuel pump gone bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel filter in, coil in. Got spark, got fuel! All parts = check!

Crank the car several times. Got fuel! Crank more and it just doesn't start, gets close a few times and backfires out the carb. At first I wonder if I installed the distributor wrong - I've heard they can go either way 180 degrees but this one appears to only want to go in 1 way. Correct me if I'm wrong. I certainly get spark.

So I believe it's a timing issue now (again correct me if you think I'm wrong). But I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to adjusting that. Lost without my workshop manual which I'll probably trip over once the car is running again.

I've got a friend coming by Friday night, he's a 2nd year apprentice mechanic so between us it should be easy enough, he'll bring all his tools too. I figured if I have to adjust timing, new belts are cheap, I should just buy a new one and knock out a future service.

Any final thoughts or tips that I should be aware of? Fingers crossed the car is running by the weekend! I won't jinx myself this time

Oh, a guy dropped in today and reckoned my wires were not in right order. They were, but thanks to him now they're not. I know the distributor is 1-3-4-2, can anyone confirm the order on the block for me?

-- I took photos doing the fuel pump so I might make up a mini guide on that once this is all over. Very simple job, took me 20 minutes, should take anyone else 5-10
    200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Looking at the engine from the front: left to right, 1 2 3 4. Looking at the dizzy from the passenger side: clockwise from the 11 o'clock position, 1 2 4 3. With cyl 1 at TDC, the rotor under the cap should point to 11 o'clock, and the cam gear notches are at 12 and 3 while looking at it from the driver side.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Awesome. Well there was 1 mistake already, I had the wrong firing order on the dizzy on 1 3 4 2, it must have been correct beforehand obviously. Thanks once more for your help. Almost there!

I'd like to somehow summarize this thread when I'm back up and running, into 1 handy post with images and info so that it can help someone in the future without having to read this entire thing.
        200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Winnie the festiva is alive again!

Thanks Festyboy for all your help, car would still be dead without it!

The timing belt looked bad though so I'm p putting a new one in tomorrow, plus brake flush, machine the discs, new pads, rrplace some bushings etc. Should be a happy little car again.
          Last edited by Click_It; 05-05-2017, 08:33 AM.
          200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Awesome
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
            X