Gas Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Mileage

My gas mileage has been dropping a bit lately and I'm wondering what kind of mileage other people are getting with their original engines. Mine hovers around 30 mpg on average. Is it possible that my fuel filter be causing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More likely the o2 and/or ECT throwing bad signals. A compression test during a regular tune-up is a good way to monitor engine health as well.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

+1 for a tune-up, or at least a clean air filter.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Is it an automatic? I've had brakes dragging mess with my MPG.

Comment

Is it an automatic? I've had brakes dragging mess with my MPG. Here is my average with my 93 stock worn out engine. I re ringed it two years ago.
          Pretty good average for over 2 years. But my last two readings have been my worst on Fuelly.
          Property of jimdigs Added Dec 2014
          93 5 speed Festiva

Basic Stats
          (-0.1)
          Avg MPG

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
            Is it an automatic? I've had brakes dragging mess with my MPG. Here is my average with my 93 stock worn out engine. I re ringed it two years ago.
            Pretty good average for over 2 years. But my last two readings have been my worst on Fuelly.
            Property of jimdigsAdded Dec 2014
            93 5 speed Festiva

Basic Stats
            (-0.1)
            Avg MPG
            No, mine is a manual too! Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              More likely the o2 and/or ECT throwing bad signals. A compression test during a regular tune-up is a good way to monitor engine health as well.
              Did a tune up within the last year. Would replacing o2 and/or ECT fix that do you think?

Comment

If they are throwing bad signals to the PCM, then yes, it will drop your mpg
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  If they are throwing bad signals to the PCM, then yes, it will drop your mpg

Comment

I thought I was the only one with such poor fuel economy. Is yours carb too? Oh and fuel filters should be serviced to keep the fuel clean (it's a $5 job!) but I never noticed any MPG improvements from doing it.

My average mileage over 97 tanks is 32.6 (see signature) but after I add recent tanks I expect that'll come back towards 30 but I just swapped out some terrible spark plugs which are probably to blame for the recent drop on MPG.

Mine: Carb, 5 sp manual, 4 door (Australian) so slightly heavier, 15" heavier rims (though mileage is mostly unchanged from the 13s before it)...

The real insult was when we drive interstate a few years ago in 2 cars. My B3 1.3L and a V6 3.5L family car. On the open road sitting on 75 (which admittedly isn't going to help the B3) we got near identical MPG. My car doesn't seem to matter how it's driven. I have driven tanks in nanny mode (under 3000rpm) and red lined other tanks, MPG varies little regardless, always poor.
                    Last edited by Click_It; 04-26-2017, 04:27 AM.
                    200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Weber 32/36 carb conversion is probably an excellent upgrade for a carb B3. I'm assuming my MPG would improve just getting that installed and tuned. But everytime I'm ready to pull the trigger I don't, thinking money could be better spent on these cars, ie going B6 instead.
                      Last edited by Click_It; 04-26-2017, 05:39 PM.
                      200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Working...
                      X