Brake system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake system

Ok, changed the wheel cylinder on Lil Blue and I now have brakes. Had trouble getting drum back on and after about 15 mins of fighting with it I remembered someone else having that trouble and someone made mention about releasing little brake adjustment and got to looking and found it, took shoes back off, released the adjustment down and put shoes back on and wallah, the drum went back on. Wife came out and pumped brakes and I bleed them and now have good brakes. Need to work on hand brake thou cause cable is sticking a little but I consider that minor. Also, I ran it at high idle for about 10 minutes and almost quit smoking. I think once I flush it out, put in new oil and then run it around some it will be good. Still have to put new valve cover gasket on but at least now I can drive it from back yard to put inside garage to work on it. Now, does the adjuster readjust itself back to where it was before. I didn't see an adjustment slot on back to adjust them again. The wheel does have some brake drag on it already. TY.
    Last edited by milehighbear; 05-02-2017, 07:29 PM.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

You drive foreward and reverse stwpping on the brake and pulling the handbrake and it adjusts itself.
    There is a specific way to do it that i can never remember so i just do that..
    With the sticking cable- its probably the adjuster pivots. Just make sure to manually pull the cables back after you use the handbrake so they dont drag

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

^ haha I used to have to push in on the e brake pivot arm to stop them from dragging. I've gotten some strange looks reaching my arms around each rear tire like I'm giving them a hug lol.

Comment

I remembered something else I wanted to know. Is the adjuster inside the brake shoes for the emergency brake or for petal brake system??
        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

That adjusts the shoes, but affects both. Don't adjust the E-brake cables unless the shoes are bedded in and adjusted correctly.
          No car too fast !

Comment

The adjuster is for both, and to answer the first question: the adjuster takes a set as soon as you apply the hydraulic brakes, it's automatic. Though I find that even with a properly working system, the adjust never gets tight enough. To address that, I manually move the adjustment cam to the tolerance I want after the shoes have bedded to the drums. If you still use lug bolts, you can do the adjustment through one of the bolt holes, which eliminates the need to pull the drum/bearings.

Oh and the actuator arm for the e-brake cable should be SLOPPY loose.
            Last edited by FestYboy; 05-02-2017, 09:19 PM.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yeah, these brake adjusters, both Festiva and Aspire freeze up big time in the salty states.

I still need to dig into mine and rebuild them. Someone made a writeup somewhere here on the forums where he drilled and cut out the old pivots and replaced them with stainless nuts, bolts and washers. Because no matter how many times you spray penetrating oil in them and free them up until they are loose, they WILL freeze back up.
              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                Yeah, these brake adjusters, both Festiva and Aspire freeze up big time in the salty states.

I still need to dig into mine and rebuild them. Someone made a writeup somewhere here on the forums where he drilled and cut out the old pivots and replaced them with stainless nuts, bolts and washers. Because no matter how many times you spray penetrating oil in them and free them up until they are loose, they WILL freeze back up.
                I didn't write the article referred to but I did follow the advice and did it to my daily driver and it's been working great. One of the best things to do for the rear brakes.

Comment

Perhaps you guys are referring to this one?
                  Last edited by TominMO; 05-03-2017, 08:45 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I ordered some shoes off of Rock Auto and they were too big even with the adjuster all the way out so I actually had to grind about 3-5mm off of each side of the bottom mounting surface to make them fit properly.
                    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                    sigpic
                    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

You gotta love it. Be sure and check your hard lines around the rear beam pivot on the drivers side to make ABSOLUTELY sure they are not corroded in the least. One of the big problems with our brakes are that although the lines are split (4 lines to 4 wheels/2 lines M/C to proportioning valve), the reservoir in the master cylinder will drain itself if there is a leak in the system and you will loose you brakes like the old single master cylinder systems before 1966. Don't find this out the hard way like I did long ago when lines rusted out where they make a sharp bend in front of the rear wheel, and there is a line connector to the right rear cylinder. PITA to change, but those and the left front line where it passes through the plastic grommet to the flex line go without warning first in my experience.
                      Have owned 9 so far
                      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

TY guys for the feedback. I will check all the lines and make sure they are good. You all have a great day now.
                        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Colorado doesn't fare badly with rust like West Virginia thank goodness. It was a good thing I was going slow when I lost a rear line once and the parking brake held. Happened to my Wife once too! The front lefts struck three times after the cars had set for an extended period, so that was always bringing one back from the dead while it was still at the house, or getting a car home after buying it . Between that and frozen calipers and rear adjusters, we could be great with English Girling brake systems. BTW, always loved the truck conversions. Always reminded me of the 66 half cab Bronco from long ago. Wish I still had him, but he rusted down to nothing.
                          Have owned 9 so far
                          White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                          Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                          Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                          Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                          Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Working...
                          X