G-series 5th gear swap different in revs vs mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-series 5th gear swap different in revs vs mph

Here's a pict of my g series at 3K rpm and speed. This was the answer to a question on the Facebook page. I do not have a pict of the before the swap speedometer. If any one does or can get a pict, please post it. All my G series are 5th gear swapped.

IMG_2710.jpg
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

That's super close to the E series, if not nuts on. Now, could we do better? Say like 2500 at 75? That only another 17%....
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I can grab a picture tonight.
      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
      1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
      19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        That's super close to the E series, if not nuts on. Now, could we do better? Say like 2500 at 75? That only another 17%....
        Larger diameter wheels/tires.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

But that would require recalibrating the speedo... A PITA. And we don't have the luxury of that much room.
          Last edited by FestYboy; 05-03-2017, 09:06 AM.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Could we just do the math and change the speedo drive gear on the trans?

Comment

This car has 185-55-15 tires. My speedometer is 1-2 mph off from my GPS on my phone.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

I'm on 165/55/14's and g series and your about 650 less rpms then me and my speedo is about 7 fast.

Comment

Originally posted by RdstrBlk View Post
                  Could we just do the math and change the speedo drive gear on the trans?
                  17% would be difficult in the trans, but there might be an adapter to suit that #. Looking into it...

The "larger" issue (pun intended) is the tire size Charlie is suggesting... It would have to be 25.5" tall, that's an extra 3.5 over ideal, a huge tire. (Example: 175/55-18 )
                  Last edited by FestYboy; 05-03-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Sometimes the gear itself that drives the speedo cable is interchangeable between transmissions. Getting one with the perfect # of teeth isnt likely, but you can probably tighten up that 17%

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                      I'm on 165/55/14's and g series and your about 650 less rpms then me and my speedo is about 7 fast.
                      When I bought the car it had 165-45-15 tires on it. I hit a pothole in Greenville,SC coming back from Madness and destroyed the left side wheels. The Speedo was off 8-9 at 80 reading 71-72 on GPS. My DD tires are the 185-55-15's that are on it now. I have a set of 165-55-15's for autocrossing or use on my B6D car which has the E series trans.
                      Jerry
                      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                      93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Working...
                      X