Things I've done to new 92

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I've done to new 92

OK, got the rear brake cylinder on and got brakes now. Took valve cover off and put a new gasket on it. Took ATF transmission fluid and flushed out motor. Put in new oil, oil filter and I did use the lucas oil additive that is supposed to stop leaks. I talked to my brother who runs a shop and he says he uses Lucas all the time on older vehicles he works on that smoke and it works pretty good. We will see. I have been driving it around for half hour and engine is running great and it even stopped smoking. I also put seafoam in gas tank and hopefully will clean injectors some. I jacked it up and now know why it is so loud. The muffler is completely disconnected from tailpipe. May have to do a little bit of reconstruction to get it back together but I'm pretty good at that. Ordered a new muffler and will get it Saturday and will put it on and am also gonna get new plugs in it and put them in. Once I get muffler on and new plugs in I'm going to drive it around and put 20-30 miles on it to get engine running good and then go get it emissioned checked. We will see then. I'll update this and let you know if it passes emissions which I feel it should. They are pretty lienant on older cars and give them a little more room to pass than newer ones.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Do you only have to pass an emissions test or is there a safety test as well? I was just wondering what they would say about the car being cut into a convertible.
    Last edited by firebush357; 05-05-2017, 06:02 AM.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Just an emissions test. The convertible is not car I need to pass emissions. It passes in 3mins. My new 92 is one that I have to get to pass emissions.
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

So what happens to B6 owners at emission tests? Is there any problem when the larger motor by default is in general going to put out more exhaust? Or do they make amends and compensate for that? I don't think many places have emissions testing, but unfortunately more probably will start. I hated the ones in California - that were first imposed in the muscle car era way back in the late '60s- When smaller cars came along they had to struggle to find ways to fail more efficient motors. They blame the environmentalists for the money the mechanics and parts stores make off of poor schleps like us, who then have less money for brakes and tires and oil changes and other kinds of maintenance. In the meantime al the car companies and marketing interests and the oil companies still sell speed and power constantly instead of encouraging smaller motors and cars again- they take away our Festivas Aspires and Metros and force us to drive a 1.6 Accent or something.
        Last edited by harpon; 05-06-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

So anyone with a B6 ever had an emissions test? Just curious.

Comment

ok, put a whole new exhaust system from catalytic converter back on. Car sounds great now. I"v been going out and starting it almost every day since I put the new oil and lucas oil stop leak in it and the car is not smoking even a tiny bit. Now all I have to do is put new plugs in, go get a temp tag for it and take it to emissions. I will take to emissions on Monday. Cross your fingers.
            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
              So anyone with a B6 ever had an emissions test? Just curious.
              shouldn't make any difference. The standards for CO and HC are the same for all cars. In other words a 5.0 Mustang needs to meet the same standards as a 1.3 Festiva. As long as your B6 is running right and the check engine light is not on it should pass just as well as the 1.3.
              '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
              '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
              '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
                ok, put a whole new exhaust system from catalytic converter back on. Car sounds great now. I"v been going out and starting it almost every day since I put the new oil and lucas oil stop leak in it and the car is not smoking even a tiny bit. Now all I have to do is put new plugs in, go get a temp tag for it and take it to emissions. I will take to emissions on Monday. Cross your fingers.
                Good luck with the emission police. I have flipped a bunch of cars over the years and usually sell them with a good emission certificate. It usually helps to get them good and hot before you run them through.
                '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Working...
                X