Aluminum heater core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum heater core?

So while cleaning my car things got out of and and now the entire interior and dash is stripped out. New carpet came yesterday so itll be easier to install with everything out anyhow. While there I decided fix the air deflector /diverters in the blower housing. Once apart I see that my core has the slightest of leaks. All the replacement cores I found look like copper brass. Found one on ebay that has the right look but it is the same PN as the copper brass unit on rockauto. Though I saw something about civic or f150 retrofits but I am unable to return to that portion of the forum apparently, because I sure cant seem to find it again. I'd rather have an aluminum unit. Any help would be appreciated.

Keep the copper brass core. Just resolder and it will be like new.
    Or, just take it to a radiator rebuild shop and they will do it for you.

Comment

^if it isnt all plugged up inside. Its something worth replacing so you dont have to take it out later since its a lot of work.
      I cant say i read about the aluminum retrofit, but why would you want to?
      I think you would need to run dexcool or honda or yellow ford coolant to get the aluminum to last as long as the copper/brass no?
      This heater core lasted 25yrs, another one should last just as long.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

The fin count is much higher and the aluminum fin to aluminum tube is brazed for supposedly better heat transfer (I now copper conducts heat better than aluminum, but the solder that connects the fins to the tubes doesn't).

I cant see a problem with these late model coolants in a festy engine especially seeing as how the head, water pump, and radiator is all ready aluminum.

If I could get an oem ford/kia unit for a decent price I'd agree and would toss in another. But I've had bad luck with other third/forth tier cores before on other cars.

I found one on the 'bay so Ill give it a whirl, I'll post up if its garbage or leaks instantly.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
        X