Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member needs help...

Hi,

I just bought a blue 1993 GL automatic with 162k miles that's been sitting outside for 2 years. I added water to the radiator and a new battery so it started up right away!

Question is: after 2 years of nothing what's the first thing I need to replace?

Cheers,
    Ray

BTW, would love to get the clear turn signals and any power upgrades without a swap...for now. But a 5 speed manual transmission would be my favorite thing to do...
    Attached Files

All the fluids, moisture in everything after that long (brake fluid too)
    No car too fast !

Comment

Fluids, Wheel Bearings,Spark Plugs, Check Wheel Cylinders for leaking, Struts if needed and probably put in a new o2 sensor.

As far as power upgrade for a stock engine there really ins't anything you can buy. You can get a little power by advancing the timing a little and port and polish the head if you have the capability. If you have the ability to make headers and then open up the exhaust a little then you can do that but it really isn't worth the money to have someone else make it. You can Drill large hole into the bottom or your air intake filter box for a more throaty sound but doesn't really make power.
      Last edited by firebush357; 06-22-2017, 06:21 AM.
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Instead of power upgrade, (which realy requires a swap, or serious engine mods) do the Advanced suspension upgrade, you will be amazed!
        No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
          Instead of power upgrade, (which realy requires a swap, or serious engine mods) do the Advanced suspension upgrade, you will be amazed!
          You gotta be careful with this car! You can quickly sink more money into it then you will ever get back. So if you dont truly love the car and want to make it special then stay close to stock. If you simply want a cheap car just replace fluids, check tires, plugs, wires the basic stuff.

Now if your not upset to sink some money:

#1 advanced suspension- i have made a writeup for this topic. its about 500$ and the car is not the same afterwards! Its like trading in your dump truck for a ferrari
          #2&3 go together
          #2 Rims and tires- The econo 165 55 14 is an amazing tire on these little cars and really help the suspension do work. #3 Brake upgrade- Aspire brake swap in the front, wheel adapters, drilled drums or aspire swap in the rear (aspire is a different bolt pattern 4x100) (rims will be different for aspire swap...)
          #4 comfort mods- Make the car yours! Lots of stuff here but its all in what u want
          #5 core support mod- will once again help the suspension do work.
          #6 motor and trans swap- not gonna make power from the stock unit. way cheaper to just swap.
          #4 Comfort stuff
          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
          1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
          19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Yup, brake fluid flush for sure. Lines rust out from the inside if you dont do that.
            Make sure brakes are all moving freely and nothing has siezed up.
            Change the engine oil and drain&refill coolant to get some fresh corrosion inhibitors in there.
            For more power, fun, fuel economy and so on the best thing to do would be to get rid of the auto transmission. Unless you want to swap another engine in and do a rear turbo, i hear that works well with an auto.
            But for power upgrades a b6 sohc, manual transmission, exidy clutch will be cheaper and far more effective than trying to make more power out of the b3. You can do it with the b3 and you can get help here if thats what you want, but its a lot of money for not much return.
            The b6 swap is easy, especially if your already doing the transmission. It uses stock mounts, b3 electronics and injectors and gives 25 or 30% more power.
            After that what was mentioned about the 14in tires and the suspension is worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-22-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I
              Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-22-2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I forgot to say Welcom to the Forum!
                Lots of friendly, knowledgeable people here!

You can keep the auto trans with a B6 swap, the car is a rocket ship if you manually shift the auto trans at full throttle
                No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                X