Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh look, Another One

Hey guys.
    I've been Festiva free for over 2 years.

But I have relapsed and the addiction is back.

I picked up this car for $100 yesterday.

The goodies:
    Spoiler
    Aftermarket wheels
    Tach cluster

Bad:
    Doesn't run
    No title (not too worried, bonded titles are less than $200)

I'm going to put some small effort into seeing if this engine will run.
    I threw a battery in the car and it cranks fine.
    The guy I bought it from said his dad couldn't get it to run right and gave up on it nearly a decade ago.
    The ECU is hanging out of the dash, but still plugged in. Several fuses were missing and I've put them back.

Here is an album:
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Check for Corrosion on all of the Plug Wires and Drain all the old gas out of it.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Snails in the carb lol

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
        Snails in the carb lol
        That was funny.
        You for sure need to get all that old gas out of there. Perhaps the inertia switch was tripped when it had the colission?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's carbed so no switch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I disconnected the fuel line from the pump then sprayed some carb cleaner down the throat.
            Fired right up, ran fine. Idled even. Very minimal smoke. No engine noise.

Now I need to decide if I want to put any money into this B3 or swap to a B6.
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

It's carbed so no switch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
              Oops. Somehow forgot how that worked...
              Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
              I disconnected the fuel line from the pump then sprayed some carb cleaner down the throat.
              Fired right up, ran fine. Idled even. Very minimal smoke. No engine noise.

Now I need to decide if I want to put any money into this B3 or swap to a B6.
              Nice! What kind of money would you need to put into the engine? Is it something you could drive for now while you look for a b6 and see if you like it? Or does it need work right away?
              You got a spoiler and a tach cluster! Any other rare parts?

Comment

Its got a/c too yet! Did you have it running long enough to try out the a/c or did the accident puncture the evaporater?

Comment

The car does have part of an A/C system but it is missing the evaporator and compressor.
                  It appears to be a dealer installed A/C system based on the location of the drier and the relays mounted on the passenger inner fender.

I haven't tested the fuel pump or carb yet. After work I will dump a hose into a gas can and feed straight to the fuel pump and see if it pumps.
                  I'm not expecting it to work with how long the car has been sitting. Also, I'd guess the carb will need a cleaning or rebuild.

Estimated parts/repair list so far:
                  Carb clean/rebuild
                  Fuel pump
                  Fuel filter
                  Fuel tank empty/clean
                  Front bumper core
                  Front bumper cover
                  Front vertical core support
                  Driver side headlight bracket
                  Radiator
                  ~Austin
                  Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

I did some more work on the car this evening.

I removed the bumper and lights.

New pictures on same album.
                    There is some frame damage where the driver's side bumper mount is.
                    We're working on straightening it out. I don't really expect to get it back to where it was and be able to mount a new bumper to it, though. I may need to look at some other bumperless Festys on here for some cool ideas.

While removing the front bumper, I noticed some objects inserted between some coils of the spring. I checked and this thing is at all four corners. Any idea what it is?

I ran a fuel line from the fuel pump to a gas can next to the car, got the car to fire off with carb cleaner, then it started pumping gas and running on the carb. I couldn't run it long because it doesn't have a radiator, but it does run. It has a lot of off-idle sputter, but I can mess with cleaning and tuning the carb when I can actually run the engine for longer than a minute.
                    ~Austin
                    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post

While removing the front bumper, I noticed some objects inserted between some coils of the spring. I checked and this thing is at all four corners. Any idea what it is?

Twist in coil spring boosters/spacers. Not exactly the friendliest thing to have jammed between the coils. Plus they should be installed in pairs directly across from each other to help eliminate the 'leaning tower of pizza' ya got goin' on.

I'd take them out before a coil breaks from the extra strain placed in such a concentrated area.

Comment

I figured as much. This car has been sitting for a decade so the springs may not fully return to a proper shape.

What is a safe way to remove those things?
                        ~Austin
                        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Hammer and safety glasses lol.
                          No don't do that they turn in, some of them have a square drive in the center that one looks like it has a nut on the outside you can use a wrich or socket on.
                          Last edited by william; 06-28-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Hammer and safety glasses lol.
                            No don't do that they turn in, some of them have a square drive in the center that one looks like it has a nut on the outside you can use a wrich or socket on.
                            Also, try to take all the weight off of the spring. They're prolly gonna be a bit tough to twist but at least it'll give ya a better chance.

Remember 'righty tighty, lefty loosey'.

Comment

Coil spacers are removed. The spring is mostly back to normal shape.

I drained the gas tank today and removed a few gallons of old gas.
                              Some still remains, but the inside of the tank doesn't look so great.

Is this cleanable or is it best to replace?
                              ~Austin
                              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                              X