Click Click Click then it starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click Click Click then it starts

So I have found a few threads on here about the clicking then starting. This past weekend I removed the starter and took it to my local autozone and had it tested. Just to rule out the starter. It passed 3 different times. Before I re-installed the starter I used a wire brush and cleaned off the cable that goes on the starter and also the smaller wire that clips on. Got everything tightened back up. Problem isn't fixed though. Where else can I start looking? The car always eventually starts its becoming annoying more than anything when I hit the key and I get the click. I just have to keep cycling the key a few times then the starter will work.
    Last edited by White92; 07-03-2017, 12:18 PM.
    1992 White Ford Festiva GL 5sp with A/C (Fettuccine)

How are your battery connections and fusable links for corrosion? For me that issue was always my battery terminals corroding up

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Battery and battery terminals all look great. I have not checked the fusable links. I will have to take a look at them this evening. I will report back my findings.

Comment

When you get this solved let us know. I now have 2 cars that do this, both auto trans, and have changed everything but the wiring harness.
        gets worse when hot. The only things that have seemed to help are, turning the crank about 3 degrees, or tapping the starter with a rod while someone else tries to crank.

Please keep us posted.
        No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
          When you get this solved let us know. I now have 2 cars that do this, both auto trans, and have changed everything but the wiring harness.
          gets worse when hot. The only things that have seemed to help are, turning the crank about 3 degrees, or tapping the starter with a rod while someone else tries to crank.

Please keep us posted.
          its very annoying isn't it. Worst part is at a gas station or parking lot and I'm over there clicking away and get funny looks. It always eventually lets the starter work. I just cycle the key over and over. Sometimes its takes a few tries sometimes its takes 10 try's. I also noticed it does it more often with a hot engine. Sometimes the car will surprise me and start on the 1st try lol

Comment

So if you push fairly hard sideways on your battery cables they do not turn on the post at all?
            The ground connection goes to the body of the car and then the same wire continues on to the transmission. Check both connections there. If the one to the transmission is not clean it could cause this. The starter is grounded through its bolts and mating surface. Perhaps if you installed it completely covered in grease it would do this?
            Can you get someone to check if its the starter itself or the relay thats clicking?
            With autos they sometimes will not start when the flywheel is in the wrong position. Seen it a couple times. Nothing wrong with the car, just have to turn the crank a few millimeters

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Exactly!
              I'm hoping one or the other will fail entirely so I can determine what's wrong....
              No car too fast !

Comment

Ryhl, (I hope I spelled it right), and White92, you need to do a voltage drop test on the harness. And also across the solenoid terminals (do this with the main power lead at the starter disconnected). You should also check the main wire impedance, it needs to be below .5 ohms for the entire circuit (post to post).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

When you say main wire impedance, do you mean the signal wire to the solenoid or the B+ cable?

Thanks,
                  Ryal
                  Last edited by Dragonhealer; 07-03-2017, 02:51 PM.
                  No car too fast !

Comment

I'm also having this problem I used exhaust wrap to insulate the starter hoping to stop any heat soaking it helps the slow turning but the clicking is seemingly getting worse with time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                    Festiver
                    93 L find/5 speed
                    BP/g15mr swapped
                    Aspire brake swapped
                    Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                    stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                    rustful
                    maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                    advanced suspension
                    kai/skeeter camber
                    b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                      When you say main wire impedance, do you mean the signal wire to the solenoid or the B+ cable?

Thanks,
                      Ryal
                      B+ cable. The click means the solenoid is moving and the plate is making contact, but any resistance in the high current circuit will cause a huge voltage drop before the real load (starter motor).

I'll remember the spelling from now on
                      Last edited by FestYboy; 07-03-2017, 07:20 PM.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks!
                        I'll post test results.
                        No car too fast !

Comment

Next time you pull the starter, you can check the starter gear to collar gap. When starter is engaged, gap should be between 0.02 & 0.08 inch. Adjustment is by adding/removing shims in the solenoid.

Comment

Trixie, my 89 automatic has been doing exactly the same think lately. I have a new automatic starter sitting on the shelf that I bought for Rosie before I switched her to a 5 speed. Been meaning to switch out the starters so I will put the new starter on Trixie tomorrow and report back on what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                              Trixie, my 89 automatic has been doing exactly the same think lately. I have a new automatic starter sitting on the shelf that I bought for Rosie before I switched her to a 5 speed. Been meaning to switch out the starters so I will put the new starter on Trixie tomorrow and report back on what happens.
                              Sorry.. I'ts just been to hot to get under the car so I haven't done this yet... will get it done this coming week though I hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X