Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone found a good quality Brand new A/C Compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone found a good quality Brand new A/C Compressor?

I swapped in a used compressor into my car recently. Glad I haven't gotten around to having the system charged yet because this morning the compressor decided to take a crap and its making a awful metal on metal noise. I opened the hood and took a look. It appears the clutch is spinning and then stopping constantly making the metal on metal sound, any way I have a brand new dryer already I am wondering how hard it would be to find a good quality Brand New A/C Compressor. Factory installed A/C

92 Festiva GL
    Last edited by White92; 07-07-2017, 08:42 AM.
    1992 White Ford Festiva GL 5sp with A/C (Fettuccine)

Have you looked into rebuilding yours

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Festiver
    93 L find/5 speed
    BP/g15mr swapped
    Aspire brake swapped
    Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
    stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
    rustful
    maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
    advanced suspension
    kai/skeeter camber
    b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

Originally posted by Festiver View Post
      Have you looked into rebuilding yours

No I have not. How do you go about something like that?
      Last edited by White92; 07-07-2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by White92 View Post
        No I have not. How do you go about something like that?
        I'd believe it'd just be bearings and the clutch never done one myself but I have heard of them being rebuilt

Festiver
        93 L find/5 speed
        BP/g15mr swapped
        Aspire brake swapped
        Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
        stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
        rustful
        maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
        advanced suspension
        kai/skeeter camber
        b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

From your description, it's just the pulley clutch bearing, which sounds like it is seizing. With the correct AC clutch puller/installer tool ( rentable at your local auto parts mart) you can change that bearing yourself. Don't forget a fresh belt, yours is now glazed.
          Last edited by Dragonhealer; 07-07-2017, 12:09 PM.
          No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
            From your description, it's just the pulley clutch bearing, which sounds like it is seizing. With the correct AC clutch puller/installer tool ( rentable at your local auto parts mart) you can change that bearing yourself. Don't forget a fresh belt, yours is now glazed.
            Normally the clutch does not spin at all. Correct? Everything is on the OFF position. No Freon in the system either. What I saw was the clutch trying to spin then stop then spin then stop. Metal on metal sounds. I cut the belt off. I'm at work with no tools and that is the easiest thing I can do so I can drive it home. I have no idea how old that compressor is. It was in a box when I bought the car so I decided to toss it on there (free) I was able to drive the car for about 3weeks with that compressor. I was just about to have it charged up with Freon this month.

Comment

I'd like to buy a new factor a/c compressor with clutch/pulley also. The unit on the pristine LX I bought in San Diego two years was stolen right off the car in the yard of the shop where I left it during short time I was arranging for someone fly there to drive it back to Seattle.

The thief left the mounting bracket and the rest of the a/c components.
              88L black, dailydriver
              88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg
              3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
              1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by White92 View Post
                Normally the clutch does not spin at all. Correct? Everything is on the OFF position. No Freon in the system either. What I saw was the clutch trying to spin then stop then spin then stop. Metal on metal sounds. I cut the belt off. I'm at work with no tools and that is the easiest thing I can do so I can drive it home. I have no idea how old that compressor is. It was in a box when I bought the car so I decided to toss it on there (free) I was able to drive the car for about 3weeks with that compressor. I was just about to have it charged up with Freon this month.
                Correct, the bearing on which the pulley freewheels was starting to seize, thereby turning the compressor. Hopefully the compressor which you fitted was properly sealed or pluged, and had at least some compressor oil in it (should be 5oz IIRC), otherwise you would be better served with a new or reman compressor.
                No car too fast !

Comment

anyone have any luck trying to get a new compressor from Orielly's or autozone? maybe even rockauto?

Comment

there were a few dynamite deals last summer. new oem compressors anywhere from $30-100 but they all had clutch n' pulley for PS. this is not a bad deal here considering it is brand new oem w/pulley for non PS car. just a new clutch/pulley is over $200 and rebuilt compressors are over $200.

Comment

Working...
                    X