Aspire Auto transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire Auto transmission

Does anyone know if an automatic transmission out of a Ford Aspire will work in a 1989 fuel injected Festiva with an automatic transmission?? Has anyone done this trans swap?? Thanks, haven't been able to find anything about this on this site.

It should but you will have to use the aspire crossmember and mounts.

The downside is the aspire has a lower final drive so you will turn higher RPM on the highway but the car will accelerate quicker.

Also if the transmission is from a 96-97 aspire don't use the torque converter, use your festiva one. Those aspires have a centrifugal lockup clutch that kills acceleration.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I will have a festy auto trans soon.You can have it in exchange for some help, or I will have it for sale as soon as I can get it home and pulled out of the car.
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick reply's. ricko1966, I have two festiva auto trans. I thought that the Aspire trans might be better for interstate driving but after reading some of other peoples experience's with the Aspire auto trans I have decided to use a 5-speed manuel trans instead. Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Stay away from the aspire auto trans my wife has a 96 aspire that used to be a automatic and it was slow and slugish so I swapped it to a five speed out of a 97 now it has alot more get up and go good luck
          Last edited by tdk666; 08-17-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tdk666 View Post
            Stay away from the aspire auto trans my wife has a 96 aspire that used to be a automatic and it was slow and slugish so I swapped it to a five speed out of a 97 now it has alot more get up and go good luck
            I am going to do an auto to 5speed swap myself that's where the auto for archer was going to come from.Done it to other cars usually pretty straight forward swap pedal cluster,swap shifter ,swap flywheel,clutch, starter,and trans. any surprise I'm not thinking of?Two occasions where I got surprised big block Olds, not drilled for pilot bushing, surprise! Had to pull the crank and machine for pilot bushing. VW rear wheel drive,no clutch cable guide tube had to cut holes in tunnel and fab a guide tube.Any surprises?
            Last edited by ricko1966; 08-17-2017, 12:39 PM.
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Harness is different, simple mods needed. Jesse should have all the details.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Who is Jesse? How do I get a hold of him? I have an entire injected 5 speed car for parts so I should have everything I need? was wondering if I needed to switch harness and ecm or just modify the wiring was thinking I could get by by bypassing the neutral safety switch and splicing the back up light wires but was unsure if manual cars have a high gear or 4th 5th gear ignition retard.Some cars do. Anybody know?

Comment

Working...
                X