Importing Vehicles from Overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Vehicles from Overseas

It has been a long time dream for me to someday own a Kia Pride Wagon. Obviously there's an issue because they were never sold here in America, so I will need to import one from Germany. I don't plan on doing everything myself because of how much there is to do, so going through a import company is my best option. Has anyone here had any kind of experience with this? If you have, is there a company you recommend? How was your experience?

I've done some basic quick research, but there is just so much information out there. I still need to save more money before I'm ready, so I haven't called anywhere yet.

Oh and I've been falling in love with this one - 34k miles and looks to be in excellent condition - all for less than a grand! So good!
    136 kia pride used on the parking , the web’s fastest search for used cars. ? Find the car of your dreams.
    Last edited by TWFodor; 08-24-2017, 01:30 PM.
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

definitely suggest a private party importer rather than a big business one. i have friends who have imported cars and there's a local guy who does it here in Seattle who did one for my buddy. he bought the car for 500$ after port fees import fees takes and shipping he ended up paying roughly 8000$ titled for his Honda van. i was thinking of this too. was discussing it with my friend on Sunday actually. Haha. i am all for the 5 door wagon but i gotta save some moo-la for an import like that.
    1988 White 4 speed Festiva (L)
    1988 Black 5 speed Festiva (LX)

ALSO
    2005, 2007 Lancer ES
    2004 Lancer Ralliart
    1981 F-150 351m

Comment

Originally posted by xXxEpicxXx View Post
      he bought the car for 500$ after port fees import fees takes and shipping he ended up paying roughly 8000$ titled for his Honda van.
      Woa. Talk about sticker shock. I was figuring it would be around half that. That's crazy! What kind of van was it?
      1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
      2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

Comment

I would think that for something like this you'd want to shop around for a price and know how much it would cost before you buy it. That being said I've never bought a car from overseas but I did ship a Festiva from Flordia to Ohio I google search for car shipping and found a site that took my info and let a bunch of car shippers know and then they all contacted me and gave me quotes. Then also you'd probably want to figure out what you have to do for importing a car by calling the local DMV/BMV. That way you should get a rough idea of what the total cost would be.

Comment

There are a lot of good articles out there talking about peoples experiences (regarding shipping, US customs, registration, etc) and pricing with importing cars from Japan, UK, and Germany. From what I have read, 2k is a minimum price to get a car into the US. Definitely a lot to look into!
          Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
          Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
          Feel free to PM me anytime!
          Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
          Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

11 - 1989 Honda Acty 4WD - Picture courtesy of Murilee Martin_0.jpg this is what he bought (not the exact one) but it was a honda acty its a cool little van though and definitely gets noticed. he lets people advertise on his van since its so unique
            1988 White 4 speed Festiva (L)
            1988 Black 5 speed Festiva (LX)

ALSO
            2005, 2007 Lancer ES
            2004 Lancer Ralliart
            1981 F-150 351m

Comment

There are some places that charge a flat rate of $5500 to import, which is ridiculous. I got a quote for about 3k for purchase, tax, tag, and title for a Kei truck by Japstarz. It's who you go through.
              Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
              1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
              2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
              2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

i can personally recommend highly a big co called SooHoo. they arrange for importation of many things other than cars. i used them to import the GTX from Canada to me in PA. basically, they will send you forms to sign over power of attorney. write a check and wait for the car carrier to show up at your door. they handle everything. port of entry, border crossing, storage, arrange for shipping and all the official paperwork. the cost was well worth it. they were helpful even after i had the car and i was dealing with a hassle from the PA DMV for title. i don't think it matters where the car is coming from, their price is the same. shipping charges will obviously be the biggest expense.
                things to consider:
                don't buy a car less than 25 years old.
                read the federal gov't websites that explain the procedure, requirements and forms needed.
                if your state requires an annual inspection or just a first time inspection for title, be aware that you might have to dumb down the car for USA FMVSS such as replacing Euro headlights with halogens. some things are supposed to have DOT labelling such as windshield and glass, lights/lenses, tires, fuel filler pipe with flapper and hole for unleaded nozzle, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by xXxEpicxXx View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]21401[/ATTACH] this is what he bought (not the exact one) but it was a honda acty its a cool little van though and definitely gets noticed. he lets people advertise on his van since its so unique
                  I dig it!

Comment

Great. I didn't know a wagon excited and now I want one.
                    Rick
                    1993 Ford Festiva
                    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                      3 door hatch, 5 door hatch, 4 door Sedan, Wagon, they made them all!
                      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                      Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                      Feel free to PM me anytime!
                      Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                      Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
                        3 door hatch, 5 door hatch, 4 door Sedan, Wagon, they made them all!
                        I'd love to have one of each! Probably won't happen though

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                          Darn auto correct. That was supposed to be existed.
                          Rick
                          1993 Ford Festiva
                          1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                          1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                          2000 Ford E350

Comment

Working...
                          X