Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with a free Festy that is way far away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
    Take a bus. drive it back with a case of oil in the back.
    That's actually crossed my mind...
    Thirdman
    1992 White Festiva L - original owner
    1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

Comment

Pay someone to drive it back for you. $150 pay for a bus ticket for them as well. Find someone you know who has time and could use the money.

Comment

If only your mom had called me your life would be so much easier, lol.
        When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Buy me a plane ticket and I will drive it back to New Mexico. I can store it until you can drive up here and get it. It can't use more oil than gas like my '53 Ford did. This is an honest offer, let me know.
          Rick.
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

If Southwest flies anywhere close I would imagine a ticket would not be more than $150. Maybe a lot less. I would imagine it is approximately 800 miles back here, so figure approximately 25 gallons of gas @ $3.00 a gallon. I know it's actually closer to $2.35 a gallon but on the safe side $75 for gas. Then we can work out a price for my services. I would be able to make the drive in two easy days. Also need to figure a day to fly there and work out the details with your mom and also go over the car for a little pre trip maintenance. I would hope the tires are ok because finding a 12" tire while traveling is impossible. Maybe I can stuff an unmounted Kuhmo in a suitcase.
            '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
            '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
            '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Mapquest shows Austin, Tx to Dickinson, ND as 22 hours, I'm in SW Missouri and I'm showing 15 hours.....

I don't know if you can find enough people but I'd be willing to help transport it like relay style. I'm a bit out of the way for a direct route Austin to Dickinson but if you could get it within 4 hours of me I'd go get it and then bring it home then take it a few hours south of me.

Comment

Agree with just drive it back, however you get up there. I had an old Datsun pickup that leaked a quart of oil every half-tank of gas and I drove it from DC to St. Louis and back, 1800 miles round trip. Twice. Just kept adding oil (Oil leak was bad valve stem seals, but I didn't understand that at the time.)

So fill the gas tank and top off the oil, then drive it 200 miles and check the oil level. Keep doing that until you get a good idea of the oil leakage rate. You probably won't have to add more than a couple of quarts the whole trip, I'm guessing.

Another good idea: at the beginning of the trip, add a bottle of seal conditioner to the oil, to possibly help cut down on leakage.

Also check belts, hoses, tires before the trip back, and buy an inexpensive tool kit up there before you start your drive. Or bring tools with you.

Buy ticket in advance to get best rates. Fly to Fargo, then take a bus. I can't believe it's as expensive as you said.
                Fly up on a Thursday morning (again, better rates), take bus, and make any preps needed.
                Drive back on Fri and Sat.
                Relax on Sunday, + an extra day for the trip back, if needed.
                Last edited by TominMO; 09-13-2017, 09:08 AM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I dunno if this helps but I am traveling from Wisconsin to Seattle in a week taking a truck and empty trailer out, I could take it anywhere to the west, but that is only farther from home. Also would you consider selling? If so how much? Hope we can help somehow

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas and offers to help!!! Y'all are the best!

Thanks for all the ideas and offers to help!!! Y'all are the best!

I have a tentative solution: She is going to have it towed it behind the moving truck when she moves (in ~1 month, to near Grand Forks, ND). Between now and Thanksgiving, I'll have someone in Grand Forks fix it, and then I'll fly up for Thanksgiving and drive it back.

This solves the time crunch issue, the expensive plane ticket (going to Grand Forks is ~$200 cheaper), I'll be with family for the holiday, there'll be a better selection of mechanics (bigger town, so more mechanic options, and more time to work with), and won't have to take as much time off of work.
                    Last edited by thirdman; 09-13-2017, 01:10 PM.
                    Thirdman
                    1992 White Festiva L - original owner
                    1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

Comment

Just an idea - to think about what could give out on the road. When were maintenance items last done, especially timing belt & gas filter; ignition parts,air filter?
                      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
                        Just an idea - to think about what could give out on the road. When were maintenance items last done, especially timing belt & gas filter; ignition parts,air filter?
                        Probably all factory, not enough miles to change any of those yet!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cept maybe the air filter. But im glad you found a solution to keep it!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                            Probably all factory, not enough miles to change any of those yet!

Just because it is low mileage doesn't mean these parts are still good. 20+ years will take its toll on Rubber and Plastic Parts.
                            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                            sigpic
                            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                              Just because it is low mileage doesn't mean these parts are still good. 20+ years will take its toll on Rubber and Plastic Parts.
                              Wasnt saying they shouldnt be replaced, just that they might still all be original which is kinda cool.

Comment

Option 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X