winter tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter tires

Searched but most the stuff I found was a few years old.

Got a set of 13" rims from a metro - stock festiva. looking for good winter tires.

Found

Nokian Nordman5 155/70/13
    and
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta7 155/80/13

I was going to go with the Nordman5 but the hakka's are nice too (have em on my truck) - but is that too big a tire to fit the festiva? I'm using stockers 145/80/12's

Can't find firestone winter tires that some people have suggested for sale

Originally posted by justinhw View Post
    Searched but most the stuff I found was a few years old.

Got a set of 13" rims from a metro - stock festiva. looking for good winter tires.

Found

Nokian Nordman5 155/70/13
    and
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta7 155/80/13

I was going to go with the Nordman5 but the hakka's are nice too (have em on my truck) - but is that too big a tire to fit the festiva? I'm using stockers 145/80/12's

Can't find firestone winter tires that some people have suggested for sale
    The 155/80/13 are going to be 41mm (1.61 inches) taller than the tires you have now so they will throw off your Speedo and might rub on bumps if your rear end is loaded down. I would go with the 155/70's/13 since they are only 10mm taller that the tires you have on now. They will feel a lot better on the road anyway since they have a shorter sidewall.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Simpletire.com has 2 different brands for 155/70/13 that you may want to check out.

SAILUN ICE BLAZER WST P155/70R-13 $39.82 Each

TELSTAR WINTER CLAW EXTREME GRIP MX P155/70R-13 $49.32 Each
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Nokian probably makes the best winter tires, looking on their website or sales pitches would tell you which tire is supposed to be better between the 2. I think the hakkapelitta's are amazing. This is my brothers toyota echo with them. The car was unstoppable. One night i decided to chase a cyote through a field and a drainage ditch had drifted right over so i couldnt see it. Got one side of the car in it doing 30kmh in 2nd gear and made it 70ft in snow deeper than the hood. You could hit drifts taller than the hood at 90kmh and the car would stay straight. I had winter tires on the front of my festiva and we had a braking contest on ice from 90kmh. He stopped, caught up to me and stopped again before i could stop once...

But for size, the 155/80's are 8% taller. I have that size on the front of my car now and you notice a big power loss. Its ok, ive been doing it all summer, but its a big difference going to 8% taller tires for power on the b3.

Then for width. 145 is optimum i think for a winter tire. You want skinney. I have used a few sets of 145's, a couple 155/80 12's and a set of 175/70 13. The 175's were absolutely useless. I would get stuck in the middle of the road in 5 inches of snow. I had to take them off. 155's i never tried on the front, only used them on the back but they had less traction than the 145s did on the back. It would slide around more with them. Every time i had a gust of wind blow the back end of the car over on an icy road was with 155's back there but it may have always been less windy with the 145's.

I used to be able to find them locally new at stores. Last couple years i had saved searches on kijiji and whenever 12in winter tires came up i bought em. Happened in the summer a couple times. Also the junkyard. Got a few there.
        I think there was still some on ebay last time i checked.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you get a fair bit of snow chains are a must have item in a festiva. They could get my festiva anywhere even with the terrible 13in tires.
          Not sure if youve seen any of my videos but here is one if you havent.

We did a lot of exploring with those chains

Comment

This was about the most snow the 175's could handle without chains. But i would spin going up paved hills at 100kmh, had to get pushed once this day and left early enough every time in case i had to put the chains on. It was stupid, i was used to pulling people out of the ditch, not getting stuck myself, so i went back to 145's.

Comment

So try calling every tire shop within an hour of you. I had problems when i would ask at one chain location the perso would say they didnt have tires for me without looking or after pretending not to look. Call the same chain store half an hr down the road and they could get them.
              Then check online sellers like tireseasy or tirerack and so on.
              Then ebay, craigslist, other members. Post wanted ads.

Ive spent a ton of time getting 12in winter tires. My new festiva has bigger brakes and im actually going to park it for the winter and drive my old one since i dont feel like buying new tires and i already have 12's.

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                Simpletire.com has 2 different brands for 155/70/13 that you may want to check out.

SAILUN ICE BLAZER WST P155/70R-13 $39.82 Each

TELSTAR WINTER CLAW EXTREME GRIP MX P155/70R-13 $49.32 Each
                Thanks - I'm even having trouble finding Nokians now - and when I do they are $90 per tire...

Never heard of these two brands though - anyone try these before and can recommend one?

Comment

Never tried em.
                  Up for a drive?

Please view this ad:

Winter tires and rims,

Price: $*100

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

Comment

well i bought the sailun ones - will let you how it turns out when the snow starts flying

Comment

well i bought the sailun ones - will let you how it turns out when the snow starts flying
                      Right on, and yes, please update us when youve used them in some decent snow and ice. Theres a big difference between good winter tires and bad ones some winter tires are no better than all seasons, some are 100x better, lol.
                      Not this coming winter but probably the next ill need to buy some 13in snow tires...

Comment

yah the rest of my cars (2002 Toyo tundra, 1991 dodge cummins pickup) all have nokian hakkapeliitta's for the winter and my wife's car has blizzak's. Although the size and weights are all different it will at least give me some comparison

Comment

yah the rest of my cars (2002 Toyo tundra, 1991 dodge cummins pickup) all have nokian hakkapeliitta's for the winter and my wife's car has blizzak's. Although the size and weights are all different it will at least give me some comparison
                          Yup, that will give some comparison. I find it interesting how very similar cars react differently in snow with the same tires.
                          My brothers echo was amazing with those snow tires, used em 2 winters on it. then my sister rolled it that summer so he put those tires on an 89 civic hatchback the next winter. It was mediocre at best, and thats being nice probably, it was bad.
                          01-05 civics are the same generation. I had an 05 manual trans 2 door with winter tires. Put those same tires on my 03 automatic 4 door and it handled differently. My 02 manual 4 door with different winter tires handled differently than either of those and i drove an 01 manual 2 door with different tires and it handled different than all of the others.
                          By different i dont mean straight line traction so much but how they reacted when you got to the limit of their lateral traction. One would have good lateral grip, another poor, one would plow the front every time and the back would never come loose, another let the rear loose much easier, my 05 when you were going too fast on ice and got hit by a gust of wind almost seemed to pivot in the middle and the front and back would swing opposite ways back and forth. The 01 was well balanced. I think a lot has to do with wheel alignment, but i really have no idea. The same tires on the echo vs the 89 civic was different in every way, accellerating, braking, cornering were all a lot worse. Not as bad as any of my newer civics all with mid priced tires though.

Comment

Has anyone bought snow tires recently for their Festiva? I'm having a hard time finding something that will work and most of the tires shared previously in this thread don't seem to be around anymore.

Comment

Working...
                            X