Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snapped clutch cable - starting in 2nd gear, how bad for the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapped clutch cable - starting in 2nd gear, how bad for the car?

Clutch cable snapped today doing nothing special, it was just at the end of its life I guess.

Because I was broken down in an illegal lane in a highway I started it in 2nd and drive it elsewhere (staying in 2nd the whole time)

I need to drive once or twice more to collect new cable for installing. How much harm is this doing to the clutch, flywheel transmission etc? 2 or 3 times are okay or try to limit it to 1 more time max ?
    200,000KM milestone!

As long as you don't over rev the engine, I don't see it as a big problem until you replace your cable.
    These cars are very lightweight.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 10-06-2017, 05:38 AM.

Comment

I just replaced the clutch cable on my 90. It was about $20 at rockauto.com I think it was. Once you get it rolling, these cars are easy to shift without using the clutch pedal.
      Last edited by Team Lightning; 10-06-2017, 09:02 AM.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

It would be a lot easier on the car to start it in first and then just shift. You dont need the clutch to shift, rpms just need to match.
        If you have never done it before you just startbit in first, speed up to where you would normally shift, let off the gas and gently pull back on the shifter. It will go into second on its own when its ready. If you miss just tap the gas and as the rpms rise or fall it will go into gear

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Click_It View Post
          Clutch cable snapped today doing nothing special, it was just at the end of its life I guess.

Because I was broken down in an illegal lane in a highway I started it in 2nd and drive it elsewhere (staying in 2nd the whole time)

I need to drive once or twice more to collect new cable for installing. How much harm is this doing to the clutch, flywheel transmission etc? 2 or 3 times are okay or try to limit it to 1 more time max ?
          Start in first at the point you would normally shift pull the stick into neutral blip the throttle put gentle pressure on the stick to coax it into second it will drop in when the revs match do the same for 3rd etc. downshifting is harder as you have to rev the engine higher between shifts. if it doesn't want to change gears blip the throttle again. I drive without the clutch all the time. Drove for 3 weeks that way when I broke my left foot in an automotive related accident.
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Thanks guys. Got a replacement cable and fitted it today. Adjusted it much better than the old one too. Feels like a brand new clutch.
            200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Working...
            X