Driveway grade problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveway grade problem

Stupid question here but I've been thinking about this problem for some time now and would appreciate any ideas. My auto mechanic workspace is on a mild grade and I could really benefit from a level workspace. I'm not in a position right now to hire a cement contractor so I've been thinking that some kind of flooring tile or whatever could be used to do the job to level the one side of the car, at least to get it on all four jack stands. Anyone have any ideas as to what type of material to use from Home Depot to accomplish this? Vinyl tile seems like it might sag and ceramic seems like it would just break, or maybe both would suffice? Just looking for ideas. Thanks!
    Last edited by RobotKarate; 10-08-2017, 03:18 PM.
    1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
    1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
    1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

maybe patio blocks. wood or bags of concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by RobotKarate View Post
      Stupid question here but I've been thinking about this problem for some time now and would appreciate any ideas. My auto mechanic workspace is on a mild grade and I could really benefit from a level workspace. I'm not in a position right now to hire a cement contractor so I've been thinking that some kind of flooring tile or whatever could be used to do the job to level the one side of the car, at least to get it on all four jack stands. Anyone have any ideas as to what type of material to use from Home Depot to accomplish this? Vinyl tile seems like it might sag and ceramic seems like it would just break, or maybe both would suffice? Just looking for ideas. Thanks!
      What is the surface you are working on? Dirt,Gravel concrete.etc? You are saying 1 side is lower than the other, by how much?Are you okay front to rear?
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

The car leans to the driver's side a bit, otherwise all four corners are even on concrete.
        1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD

Comment

How much will it take to level it? Im thinking either concrete blocks or a sheet of plywood you cut into squares of the sizes you need for the jackstands.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I still don't know how much you are off level but if the car would be safe on jack stands just get the ratcheting kind and set them one tooth igher on the drivers side.
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I'm not sure of the degree of the grade but it's not level enough to perform an alignment. I might just go and buy some linoleum and see how that plays out.
              1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by RobotKarate View Post
                You do not align the car on jackstands. Plywood and linoleum work great for leveling a car for alignment,a leveled flatbed trailer works better,but if all you are doing is setting toe than reasonably level side to side is all you need.FWIW if you do use shims on the floor to level the car,you can paint a square around your shims and in the middle of the square paint how many shims. So setup next time is easy.
                Last edited by ricko1966; 10-09-2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X