Intro - Newbie - Just got my first -'89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro - Newbie - Just got my first -'89

Been toying with the idea of getting one for a while. Found a beat up '89 Red stick in actually ok shape. Little rust, 79k, needs cleaning up. My plans are to use it as a Daily/beater but I know once I start driving it I'll want to do more. I havent even picked it up yet and I'm already gettin attached to the little shit. It's been sitting for a little over a year so i got some work cut out for me. I'm more of a muscle car guy and this is waaaaay out of my realm. So, gonna need lots of help from you guys.

- Drivers side window seems like it's off track. Wont roll up all the way/Crooked at the top. Hints?
    - Tires!! - It's gonna need tires! Definelty would like to convert to a bigger size eventually but need something to get me rolling for winter duty.
    - Passenger side fender/turn signal is crinkled. any good parts source for that? (preferably already red)

Eventually I envision a Rally car type of build (tasteful if possible) but I live out in the country and this little bugger will see some harsh conditions!!! Hope its up to the task.

and i know, i know, Pictures or it didnt happen!! I'll get some up soon. ...and since photobucket pooped ouot on us forum guys, what are all the cool kids using now for photo hosting?

Thanks in advance guys,
    -Ed

Originally posted by edman1000 View Post
    Been toying with the idea of getting one for a while. Found a beat up '89 Red stick in actually ok shape. Little rust, 79k, needs cleaning up. My plans are to use it as a Daily/beater but I know once I start driving it I'll want to do more. I havent even picked it up yet and I'm already gettin attached to the little shit. It's been sitting for a little over a year so i got some work cut out for me. I'm more of a muscle car guy and this is waaaaay out of my realm. So, gonna need lots of help from you guys.

- Drivers side window seems like it's off track. Wont roll up all the way/Crooked at the top. Hints?
    - Tires!! - It's gonna need tires! Definelty would like to convert to a bigger size eventually but need something to get me rolling for winter duty.
    - Passenger side fender/turn signal is crinkled. any good parts source for that? (preferably already red)

Eventually I envision a Rally car type of build (tasteful if possible) but I live out in the country and this little bugger will see some harsh conditions!!! Hope its up to the task.

and i know, i know, Pictures or it didnt happen!! I'll get some up soon. ...and since photobucket pooped ouot on us forum guys, what are all the cool kids using now for photo hosting?

Thanks in advance guys,
    -Ed
    Imgur is the new prefered method of Hosting Images.

SimpleTires.com or TireEasy.com for tires

As far as the Window you can take the door card off and find out why it is off track. I know both of mine kick sideways sometimes and come off. I have found that a little of the WD-40 Dry Silicon Lube sprayed in the rubber Tracks helps

I use the member jfd64 for parts but there are plenty of people that have extra parts. Just put a WTB post up and you will find what you need.
    There is also TheFestivaStore.com

There are years of great knowledge on this forum about the cars, I encourage you to read though the different forums and try the search bar but if there is anything you can't find just ask.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Thanks in advance guys,
      -Ed
      Welcome! Festivas are great for off-roading and there is another member here who does rallycross with one.

Festivas are great for off-roading and hold up to a fair bit. I severely abused one for 9yrs and it never quit, just rusted out.

I made kind of a stupid video that i need to redo but it shows the one spot you really need to check for rust. If its badly rusted there walk away and look for another one.

For the window- pull it back as your rolling it up, then dont roll it down again
      Lol, theres better solutions but thats honestly what i did with my first festiva. If its actually outbof the track at the front use a ruler to move the track when the window is down as you roll it up to get the window back in.

Tires- 165/55 r14 achilles for the summer on pavement, no idea about dirt tires. and check out this thread for winter tires: https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61132

Typically a junk yard or parts car. You can post a wanted to buy ad here but shipping would cost a bit unless there is a memeber close to you.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you both very much! and so far from what I've read and seen on here looks to be a pretty good forum. I hope i can contribute as well. I'll get some more info and pics up asap. I found some nice 13" aggressive snows and from what I've seen i can run them on Geo Metro rims (same bolt pattern) I'm still a few weeks from driving it so I got time.

I seen that Rally Festiva above! sweet car! definetly need to know some suspension tricks!

Thanks For the links to the Vid's!!! I gotta check the axle attach area now, I don't wanna have a bad time! for what i paid for it though if its too bad, I'll just field car it...! hopefuly she's roadworthy.

Oh, also, Slight possibility that the previous owner wont be able to find the keys... how big of a deal to swap everything out?? not too worried about the doors but the column may be cumbersome...
        Last edited by edman1000; 10-20-2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Thank you both very much! and so far from what I've read and seen on here looks to be a pretty good forum. I hope i can contribute as well. I'll get some more info and pics up asap. I found some nice 13" aggressive snows and from what I've seen i can run them on Geo Metro rims (same bolt pattern) I'm still a few weeks from driving it so I got time.

I seen that Rally Festiva above! sweet car! definetly need to know some suspension tricks!

Thanks For the links to the Vid's!!! I gotta check the axle attach area now, I don't wanna have a bad time! for what i paid for it though if its too bad, I'll just field car it...! hopefuly she's roadworthy.

Oh, also, Slight possibility that the previous owner wont be able to find the keys... how big of a deal to swap everything out?? not too worried about the doors but the column may be cumbersome...
          It is, this is a really great community.

Good! As long as they arent too wide they should work great.
          Geo metro rims work.

It really is, find their build thread, i believe that info is in it. If all you questions arent answered in that thread just ask em. Its a really cool car i think.

Haha, no problem.

Doors are easy, steering column not so much but there are good writeups here of how to do it if you end up needing to. Hardest part would be finding a full set with a key to replace them with probably.

Here is a link with some helpful info for new festiva owners. Good stuff in the comments too.
          Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

If you want to do off-roading buy some chains. Our cars can go just about anywhere with enough speed and a set of chains. Just be aware of what it does to the underside of your car. My frame rails were flat, floorboards pushed up a long ways, lost about 6L or capacity from the fuel tank, exhaust gets all smashed where it goes around the gas tank, your rear axle takes a beating and so does the transmission crossmember. If i was still doing it i would build a small skid plate for the lower rad support area.

There are certain types of clay you should stay away from when wet though. On this road the clay stuck to my back tires, built up about 3 inches all the way around and the back tires actually stopped turning. 30kmh was as fast as i could go keeping it between the trees and i got stuck. I didnt have my chains but i think they may have just dug a hole with my back tires dragging like that. A 4x4 pickup with mud tires had a REALLY hard time getting to me to pull me out.

But festivas can conquour anything else: regular mud, deep snow, ice, sand, water (except dont go down a boat launch)

Come to think of it i have actually gotten stuck in all those things.... lol

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

My Car will start with anything you can stick in the ignition so if you just need to start it then maybe you will get lucky and have the same issue lol
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
              My Car will start with anything you can stick in the ignition so if you just need to start it then maybe you will get lucky and have the same issue lol
              MY '96 ranger was like that, I'll try that key an see if it works! May be an omen if it does!!! I loved that ranger!

Finally picking it up friday so I'll know more....

Oh, an for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to subscribe to threads on this forum... any help??
              Last edited by edman1000; 11-08-2017, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Take the passenger lock out and bring it to a locksmith. They will cut you a key. If the other locks have not been changed your new key should work both doors, the hatch and if you are lucky the ignition. Don't forget a couple of extra keys for back-ups. The price for this service should not be too expensive. Where I live around $25-$40....Good luck!
                '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

MY '96 ranger was like that, I'll try that key an see if it works! May be an omen if it does!!! I loved that ranger!

Finally picking it up friday so I'll know more....

Oh, an for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to subscribe to threads on this forum... any help??
                  At the top of the Thread there is a "Thread Tools" drop down that will allow you to subscribe.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                    At the top of the Thread there is a "Thread Tools" drop down that will allow you to subscribe.
                    Thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                    X