Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know if the speedo w/tach cluster uses a longer cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know if the speedo w/tach cluster uses a longer cable?

I scored a nice factory cluster with tach out of a '91 to replace the base model speedometer cluster in my '91. I get it in and button up all the fasteners and go back under the hood to connect the cable to the transmission and it is about an inch too short. While comparing the back sides of the clusters I did notice the tach cluster moves the speedometer input over about an inch. I guess you could say that the answer is obvious? I would have thought they would have used one cable for either application.
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

I bought a new speedo cable a while back and it is so long that i have a loop ~5 inches in diameter under the dash. We need to trade lol.
    Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
    Something new breaks every day

Comment

You need to shift the cable to the right on US cars. This puts the cable behind the speedometer
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The cable comes through a rectangular sheet metal opening. Like I mentioned it is connected to the speedometer just fine. It is short when I try to connect it to the transmission. It was getting dark when I tried to connect it to the transmission. Maybe I over looked something.When you say I need to shift the cable to the right I am not sure I understand you. Or I could say "well of course I pushed it to the right, how else would it connect to the speedometer". And yes I did pull it towards the transmission from the under hood side. There does not seem to be any slack, it just seems an inch or two short. If there is only one part number perhaps the cable has been replaced with the wrong one. As a matter of fact the original speedometer was broken where the cable connected to it. That may have been caused by a shorter than original cable.
        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Rick, remove your cluster and pull the cable back into the engine bay. Then reroute the cable to the right (passenger side) of the rectangular opening that it originally went through. That should give you enough cable to connect both ends. There's pics in a thread someplace on here or used to be. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yeah, years ago this issue came up a lot. I remember people moving it to the right like radi8u said and it works fine.

Comment

Thanks Jerry and radi8 +zoe60! I will mess with it later. If I get it working it will be the first time I have a working speedometer in a Festiva for about 3 years. Having the tach is nice and yes the B6ME really winds up nicely. Of course my ears already told me that. The tach confirms it!

Comment

Working...
              X