Mazda BP versus Kia BP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda BP versus Kia BP

I asked these questions recently and did not get an answer so I will try again. Most of us know the B3 engine is a Mazda design. Does anyone know if any of the B3's were actually made by Mazda?
    I have the same question regarding the B6T and BP engines. I have a B6T engine that came out of a '91 Capri. Does anyone know if it was built at a Mazda plant or did Ford build it? Then there is the BP engine I have. It says Kia on the cam cover. Did Kia build it or did they buy them from Mazda with the Kia name on it? Does the Kia BP share the same heavy duty components that a Mazda BP uses? Is there any advantage to buiding a Mazda built BP over a Kia Built BP? Externally my Kia BP does have the cast aluminum , finned oil pan that would be found on a Mazda BP (at least I think it would). If any of this information is on the internet I have yet to find it. Anyone have my answers? Thanks....Rick.
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Hard to find good info on this. From what I gather, Kia changed the engine code when they started redesigning the engines.
    For BP, looks like 1995 is when Kia started manufacturing it under licence from mazda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Sephia.
    Somewhere in 1996 came the TD8, apparently based on the BP but it had extra 20hp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Elan#Kia_Elan

The crossover dates probably change depending on region as well.

Pretty sure all the B3's in Australia were made by Mazda in Japan, I would think the B3 in your Festivas would be from the same engine plant

And your Mercury Capri was built by Ford Australia, they imported the B6T from Mazda in Japan.
    Last edited by reddragon; 11-07-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks Red, anyone else want to chime in?
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

It's nice to know Kia is a progressive company and actually built a Lotus clone. Too bad they didn't send one to the states.

Comment

Working...
        X