Tring Imgur for the first time, 1958 Isetta microcar pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tring Imgur for the first time, 1958 Isetta microcar pictures

I'm trying Imgur for the first time. Here (hopefully) are 4 pictures of a 1958 Isetta that I painted. It is a BMW built Isetta powered by a 300 cc, single cylinder engine. It makes a Festiva look huge.https://imgur.com/e3QHCje
    It works! It's so easy a Cave Man can do it!
    Last edited by w4rkry; 11-10-2017, 10:02 AM.
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Pictures look good on my end Rick!
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

The title should read " trying Imgur"
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

those came through nice. i've been using flickr since the PB blackmail. it's pretty easy to embed your pics

Comment

Nice paint job! Especially the 2 tone on the front there, was there a bodyline to follow or is that freehand?
          it not only makes a festiva look big, it makes your motorbike look big!
          That exhaust is hilarious, what size is the motor?
          The 4 photos turned out quite well to view both on my computer and phone. There is a link above the photos to the album on imgur. was that intentional or were you trying to see if that would put the whole album on here? (wouldn't that be nice!?)

Comment

I actually saw one or two of those when I was very small- I think they go back a few years before '58. There is one that drives through the 1955 film "Funny Face" and beeps, as Aubrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire approach a nightclub full of beat nicks in Paris. Cool little car- I still like 4 wheels, but better a single rear wheel with only three. The single door front opening could be problem if you run into something.
            Last edited by harpon; 11-12-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
              I actually saw one or two of those when I was very small- I think they go back a few years before '58. There is one that drives through the 1955 film "Funny Face" and beeps, as Aubrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire approach a nightclub full of beat nicks in Paris. Cool little car- I still like 4 wheels, but better a single rear wheel with only three. The single door front opening could be problem if you run into something.
              Running into anything would be a problem with an Isetta.....LOL.

Comment

Hello Ryan, it's a 300 cc single cylinder, aircooled of course. The two tone paint was done following a faint body line, you could say it was freehand. I have looked at old pictures of Isettas and I am not so sure that the factory ever painted them in 2 colors. This one was originally an ugly shade of red, almost brown. I am not wild about the colors on this one, however it is what the customer requested. He wanted single stage urethane which in my opinion is more difficult than base/clear, but actually has it's advantages from a painters perspective at least. I used PPG products exclusively (very expensive BTW) The main color is called Big League Blue and the secondary color is Voodoo Blue. It looks a bit naked in the photos as it is lacking the front bumper and the 3 emblems that go on the front. They are : Isetta, the classic BMW white/blue, and the 300. Nice scripts on the Isetta and the 300. Thanks for mentioning a link to the album. It seems to me I accidentally posted pictures on a Forum with Photobucket being the host. I accessed my Photobucket account through the Forum as a guest and it looked to me like it was an invitation to hack or hijack my account. I need to pay attention to the details. Computers are not friendly to me....LOL.
                Last edited by Rick the Quick; 11-12-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
                  Hello harpon, some Isettas were made with a single rear wheel for certain markets. It allowed them to be registered as a motorcycle saving the owner a good deal of money at a time when Europe was recovering from WW2. The one in the picture has a rear wheel track of approximately 12", allowing it to get buy without a differential.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                    Running into anything would be a problem with an Isetta.....LOL.
                    I didn't even think about that, wow...

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                    Hello Ryan, it's a 300 cc single cylinder, aircooled of course. The two tone paint was done following a faint body line, you could say it was freehand. I have looked at old pictures of Isettas and I am not so sure that the factory ever painted them in 2 colors. This one was originally an ugly shade of red, almost brown. I am not wild about the colors on this one, however it is what the customer requested. He wanted single stage urethane which in my opinion is more difficult than base/clear, but actually has it's advantages from a painters perspective at least. I used PPG products exclusively (very expensive BTW) The main color is called Big League Blue and the secondary color is Voodoo Blue. It looks a bit naked in the photos as it is lacking the front bumper and the 3 emblems that go on the front. They are : Isetta, the classic BMW white/blue, and the 300. Nice scripts on the Isetta and the 300. Thanks for mentioning a link to the album. It seems to me I accidentally posted pictures on a Forum with Photobucket being the host. I accessed my Photobucket account through the Forum as a guest and it looked to me like it was an invitation to hack or hijack my account. I need to pay attention to the details. Computers are not friendly to me....LOL.
                    Nice! it looks good in that 2 tone I think.
                    Was that top opening a glass sunroof or fabric? Do you have a finished photo or not?
                    I know ppg is expensive, lol. When I went to school for painting they used ppg and I noticed ppg had a couple nice products which sikkens didn't. But i'm sure every premium paint line has one or 2 advantages and disadvantages over other brands. I think it was their dtm epoxy primer that I was most impressed with. Sprayed a scrap panel and stuck it in a bake cycle with some other stuff. Took a body hammer with a pointy end the next day and beat the panel really hard from behind and it didnt crack. I have a video of it somewhere. Is red twice as expensive with ppg as well? I remember we painted an entire SUV a red tricoat iirc and our shop cost on the paint could have gotten 3 or 4 or 5 nice festivas....
                    A good painter with a good gun can make any paint look good when it leaves the shop though, we sprayed a couple panels on my festiva with tremclad thinned down and it actually looked great! for 3 weeks till it faded, lol. not sure if it even finished drying before starting to fade.
                    Last edited by ryanprins13; 11-18-2017, 12:10 AM.

Comment

The top is roll back fabric, kind of what the VW Beetles used back in that era .I would imagine it will leak if you were to drive it in any kind of rain. The car will be going back to Scottsdale AZ. soon and I imagine it will be kept inside a garage. The classic Blue Book shows a high book of $53K. I don't imagine this one would bring that much however it seems that every time I go to a classic car auction I usually see a few cars that are nowhere close to #1 condition that sell for high book or higher. It all comes down to how badly two or more people want it. They get in a bidding war and sometimes pay way beyond what a car is worth. Whats a $100 grand to a billionaire? As for finished photos, I will try to get a few before it goes back to AZ. Its about a 50 mile round trip to the guys shop. Like 50 miles is a big deal in my Festiva...LOL. It seems like I always have more important things to do with my time. I don't want to even think about buying red in PPG but I imagine just like Dupont (Dupont was sold and is now known as Axalta) it is close to twice the cost of your basic blues and greens, etc. Yellow and bright oranges are just as bad. I bought a pint of red Chromabase (Axalta) last week and it was $126. That's over $1,000 per gallon! A half pint of PPG hardner is $48. I use a urethane dtm (direct to metal) primer made by a company called U-Pol. It is a 2K primer, in other words it needs to be mixed 4:1 with a hardner. Once it dries, it's dried. There is no shrinkage down the road. If you did the body work correctly it won't show through the base coat 6 months later (like the old lacquer primers allowed). A gallon of U-Pol primer with hardner is $82. That's a bargain and in my opinion if you use anything less you are going to regret it down the road. As for a good painter with a good gun, I wish I knew one.....LOL.

Comment

Cool, is the u-pol high build for over bodywork or more for covering bare metal?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X