Prospective Festiva owner with some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospective Festiva owner with some questions

Hello everybody, my name is Emmet! Please forgive any glaring issues with my post in regards to formatting or the like, I’m new here (obviously!) and rather new to forum posting in general.

So recently, my 4000+ pound Kia Amanti has bitten the dust, and I am looking into purchasing something cheap, older, fun and small. Naturally I’ve always gravitated towards hatchback vehicles, and the Festiva in particular. So naturally I’m going to look in this market. For starters, could I even fit in a Festiva? I’m 6’4”, and fitting in the vehicle is one of my primary concerns, and since you don’t see many Festiva’s out on the street to sit and try to fit in, I thought I’d ask all you folks, as I’m sure some of you are tall folk like myself Secondly, what pitfalls and common problem areas should I look at when going to purchase my first festiva used? Anything I should look for in specific, Aside from just the general “oil leak, knock, body rust” stuff? I’m pretty excited to get into the culture of these little hatches, and see where these neat little vehicles can take me!

Thank you, Emmet!

Its getting close to 1am here, but im 6ft even and dont drive with the seat all the way back even. There was a facebook post about tall people and festivas a while back, ill see if i can find it tomorrow.
    For old, cheap, fun and small a festiva is the best you can get.
    Heres a video i made about what to look for on a festiva. Its half serious and half joking. I should redo it, but whatever.

As long as you dont buy an overpriced festiva you wont be dissapointed.
    I had the same one 10 years. My first car and im still driving it to work. Very cheap, reliable, very fun, small and so on.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I also sit on a 1.5in thick cushion because i like sitting higher up, lotsa head room. Pedals are far enough apart for massive boots unlike a honda fit or something.

Comment

welcomsign

Welcome to the forum.
        I bought my Festiva for $248. Maybe you can do better.
        Great cheap fun. I am only 6 feet tall. I prefer to keep my seat all the way back.
        Besides, you can always mod the seats to be even further back.
        Just drill out the solid rivets, weld on some extensions and then re-rivet.

Mr. Moderator, please fix this broken smiley (second request).
        Last edited by bravekozak; 11-13-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Things to look for other than whats in my video would be corroded fuseable links. These cars will go up for sale sometimes not running and all they need is the corrosion cleaned off the fuseable links and/or new fuses.
          Thats these on the strut tower. They tend to corrode after 25yrs and all the cars power runs through them.

The festiva community is probably the best and most helpful car group you will come across. Lots of stories that could be told about it but if you start reading posts here im sure you will see it.

Also there was a thread from another prospective first time buyer a while back. Lots of photos and videos in there that you could skim through if your interested.

Comment

I’m 6’3” with no issues. One problem I do run into is shifting and hitting my passengers knee.

Comment

6'6" here and fit comfortably.
              1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
              1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
              1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman89 View Post
                I’m 6’3” with no issues. One problem I do run into is shifting and hitting my passengers knee.
                Embarrassing when the passenger is a first time encounter with a woman wearing a short dress....
                '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

^ that would be...
                  I was a passenger in a non-festiva once and had the driver grab my knee and shake it to check if the car was in neutral. That was quite ackward. :/

Comment

I'm 6'2 and fat and fit comfortably in the Festiva. I find many newer cars that are much larger, feel cramped.
                    Rick
                    1993 Ford Festiva
                    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, I don't think you will need to worry about rust out your way and anytime you have a question, simply ask.
                      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Wow! Y’all at eoverwhelmingly helpful and positive. Thank you for all the support! I will be sure to look through the wealth of knowledge you guys have given me! They seem rather tall friendly!

Comment

im 6'5" but under 200#, fit fine. I do suggest an aftermarket wheel with some dish to it if your knees/gut hit wheels on other vehicles. For example, i actually put my festiva wheel on my b2200 mazda truck as the festy wheel has somewhat of a dish to it over the straight up and down b2200 factory wheel. I had already put a wheel on the festiva for looks so repurposed it on the truck. For what it is, theres lots of room to the car, just not side to side. Its way better than a 1960s VW all around.

OTTER JUST SAW you are in riverside. I live in Rialto, and mom's house is in Corona. you want to have a "pickapart date" or just shoot the S--- sometime send me PM.
                          Last edited by getnpsi; 11-14-2017, 12:59 AM.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

You are in car heaven : Southern California. No rust issues and literally millions of cars, not to mention many of those are enthusiast owned. I would imagine there are plenty of Festivas hiding out there. Check out the Pamona swap meet at the L.A. Fairplex and you will never know what you will find. If not a complete car, you may find endless Festiva / Mazda / Kia parts. Anything from stock parts to performance parts. The next meet is December 3rd. Doors open @ 5am. Bring a wagon with pneumatic tires and be prepared to walk 15 miles if you want to see it all.
                            '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                            '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                            '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Working...
                            X