Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new board member..

Hello all,

Just figured I would introduce myself. I recently moved to back to WV after working for several years in Columbus, OH. I now have a fairly long commute so I decided to get a Festiva to help out on the gas bill. My dad is a little bit of a Festiva guru, as he also had a long commute when he worked, and has owned 3 Festiva's (including a yellow '91 that he sold to a friend that now has over 300k on it -- I was with him at the dealer when he bought it new back then). He also had a tealish/green '93 that he gave to me as a college car, and which I still drove during my first couple of years in Columbus. Most reliable car I ever had, other than running the battery dead more times than I can count because of no *ding, ding* when I idiotically leave the headlights on. Oh, and there was one other time that I mashed on the brakes too hard on a snowy road because of an SUV that stopped suddenly in front of me, and the rusty brake line blew apart where it comes through the fender. Luckily the Festiva was small enough that I cut my steering wheel to the right, and squeezed in between the guardrail and that SUV.

Anyway...I'm rambling. I had a local friend that had a silver '91 L with 168k miles which he parked a couple years ago because of "brake problems". I got it for free and have so far fixed the rear brakes (frozen e-brake), new shoes, cylinders, new exhaust, new fuel pump, tires, fluids...few other things. I started to get it on the road this week, but the Alt. belt broke. I won't have time to change it until this weekend, since it looks like I have to get the A/C compressor belt off too to put a new alt. belt on. (BTW, any reason I can't just leave the A/C belt off? I don't have power steering, and it won't be A/C weather here for months..)

I'm not to into modifications and what not, but it is good to know there is a resource out here for me when I have questions. It was actually funny when searching my problems to see people having the same things happen to them that we've gone through (PITA to remove lugnuts, impossible to remove #2 spark plug, etc..)

Thanks in advance

Marty
    91 Festiva L

Elk River, anywhere near Slatyfork, Marlington and Snowshoe? I used to go mountain biking and road riding in that area.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Not really, more central WV...

Been to the area though, been skiing once (not much of a skier).
      91 Festiva L

Comment

Marty,
        Welcome to the board.
        Yes you can leave the A/C belt off, just remember to tighten the idler pulley back down.
        I forgot to do that once and those pulleys are had to come by.
        ~Jeff
        1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
        1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
        2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Working...
        X