Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke my Valve cover. Doh!

Well, today I messed up pretty good.

This morning I went to replace the leaking valve cover gasket on my B3, and everything was going smoothly. Cleaned up the channels, scraped the gunk off, seated the new gasket, all was going well. Tightened down the bolts nice and slowly, and thought everything was in order. Then, when coming home, I stop at the parts store to pick up a new PCV valve and install it. As I'm inspecting my earlier handiwork, I notice that the valve cover has fractured where the top right bolt goes through. Broken, and spitting oil vapor. I came from a TBI 350 with stamped metal valve covers, and never had an issue with overtightening, as it was easy to do by feel. I think I may have overtorqued this one, or maybe it was already cracking before the job? I ended up JB welding the crack for now, hopefully it holds well enough until I can find a replacement valve cover.

Lots of valve covers at junk yards.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 11-22-2017, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I will give you a nice valve cover for a B3. All I ask is you cover postage. Do you have a Pay Pal account? PM me if you are interested. I can send it on Friday you will have it on Monday or Tuesday.
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

i thought the B3 V.C. bolt hole had rubber inserts with steel pins that prevented over tightening. maybe these were missing?

Comment

I did the exact same thing with my b6t valve cover. I had jb weld on it for almost a year lol.
          I ended up just having my friend tig it back together because apparently b6t valve covers are hens teeth.
          Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
          Something new breaks every day

Comment

F3BZ, that's exactly what happened. The top right grommet was missing, so I thought a few washers would do. Unfortunately, that let me put too much pressure on just that one spot. Thankfully, I was able to find a cheap and hella clean Aspire 1.3 valve cover on ebay.

Comment

Working...
            X