Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP

Hey everyone!
    I am new to this forum as I just purchased my first Festiva. I had two questions for you!!

1) It is a 1991 with 130K miles. Currently in the process of getting it running. Car has power and wants to turn over but we are not getting any spark. Just ordered a new ignition coil, distributor cap, and distributor rotor. After replacing those -- if it still does not want to start what would be your next step? Or is there anything I am missing?

2) I was really wanting a manual trans but I got this vehicle for a steal and couldn't pass it up. How have the auto trans Festivas held up compared to the manual? Is there anything that I should watch out for or beware? How reliable is the auto trans compared to the manual?

Thank you all for your help in advance!

For your first question- how long has it been since it ran? How did it die? Are you getting fuel? Is it catching at all when cranking or no firing whatsoever?
    Was work done on it just before/after it died like timing belt, distributor, fuel pump and so on?
    Have you checked all fuses and fuseable links?

2 im no expert on this but the autos just rev higher on the highway. I think for daily driving they are just as reliable as the manuals. As long as you keep fluid in them they just work, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

When you say it "wants to turn over" do you mean it is cranking but not actually starting? When you say there is no spark I presume it is cranking over. After installing a new coil and you are still getting no spark It is probably either the ignitor or the distributor. There is information on here on how to test your distributor. It requires some components and assembly to make the tester. I had a similar problem on my '93. My basic trouble shooting indicated the coil was probably good so I assumed the ignitor was bad. Its' the small module mounted next to the coil. Without specialized equipment I don't think we can test the ignitor..I went to a U-Pull it type of salvage yard and bought a distributor, coil and ignitor for $35. The ignitor did not get me going. It turned out to be a bad distributor. I now have a spare coil and ignitor that I carry with me for the time they are needed.
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Welcome, 621!
        There are way better mechanics on here than me, I'm sure someone will chime in with the right tricks to get you going. Where are you located in Indiana? I have a good distributor you could try if you're close.

Comment

When you turn the key to the run position does the engine light come on? If not, it's probably the main relay next to the battery. When I bought mine the previous owner said the ignition switch was bad. The main relay clicked but the engine light didn't come on which told me the pcm wasn't getting power. I jumped the 2 big wires going to the relay and it fired right up so I replaced the relay and I was in business. Hope that helps!
          92 Festiva L with AC 5 Speed, 244,000mi and counting!
          R.I.P. Zeus, aka 77 F150 Custom Explorer 300 I6
          Go Green! Go White!

Comment

Unfortunately I do not know for sure how long since it has ran. We had to pull it out of this guys back yard and push it up onto the trailer haha. The guy I bought it off of said it was just driving when it just lost power and died. As far as the fuel goes it looks like yes I am. And the motor will crank but it is not catching at all. I was not told of any additional work done for the timing belt, etc.

Thank you for your response! Looking forward to hearing back
            Last edited by festiva621; 11-23-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Honestly that would be a HUGE help!! I am right outside of Indianapolis but travel a ton for work... I would of course be willing to pay for it as well! Where would you be located?

Comment

Originally posted by radi8u View Post
                Welcome, 621!
                There are way better mechanics on here than me, I'm sure someone will chime in with the right tricks to get you going. Where are you located in Indiana? I have a good distributor you could try if you're close.
                Honestly that would be a HUGE help!! I am right outside of Indianapolis but travel a ton for work... I would of course be willing to pay for it as well! Where would you be located?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                  For your first question- how long has it been since it ran? How did it die? Are you getting fuel? Is it catching at all when cranking or no firing whatsoever?
                  Was work done on it just before/after it died like timing belt, distributor, fuel pump and so on?
                  Have you checked all fuses and fuseable links?

2 im no expert on this but the autos just rev higher on the highway. I think for daily driving they are just as reliable as the manuals. As long as you keep fluid in them they just work, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                  Unfortunately I do not know for sure how long since it has ran. We had to pull it out of this guys back yard and push it up onto the trailer haha. The guy I bought it off of said it was just driving when it just lost power and died. As far as the fuel goes it looks like yes I am. And the motor will crank but it is not catching at all. I was not told of any additional work done for the timing belt, etc.

Thank you for your response! Looking forward to hearing back

Comment

Originally posted by notyettoday View Post
                    When you turn the key to the run position does the engine light come on? If not, it's probably the main relay next to the battery. When I bought mine the previous owner said the ignition switch was bad. The main relay clicked but the engine light didn't come on which told me the pcm wasn't getting power. I jumped the 2 big wires going to the relay and it fired right up so I replaced the relay and I was in business. Hope that helps!

Now that I think about it, it does click when I turn the key to the run position -- Not sure if that is the relay or dash lights. I am going to go ahead and check that!! Thank you!

Comment

Here is a simple test to check for a broken timing belt : pull the coil high tension wire where it goes to the distributor and ground this end of the wire. This is the wire that goes to the center terminal on the distributor cap. Crank the engine over and observe the rotor. If it is not turning you probably have a broken timing belt. Other, although unlikely possibilities would be broken camshaft, or a broken distributor, or one that actually happened to me, a sheared off bolt on the camshaft sprocket. Let us know how it checks out.
                      Last edited by Rick the Quick; 11-23-2017, 11:38 AM.
                      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                        When you say it "wants to turn over" do you mean it is cranking but not actually starting? When you say there is no spark I presume it is cranking over. After installing a new coil and you are still getting no spark It is probably either the ignitor or the distributor. There is information on here on how to test your distributor. It requires some components and assembly to make the tester. I had a similar problem on my '93. My basic trouble shooting indicated the coil was probably good so I assumed the ignitor was bad. Its' the small module mounted next to the coil. Without specialized equipment I don't think we can test the ignitor..I went to a U-Pull it type of salvage yard and bought a distributor, coil and ignitor for $35. The ignitor did not get me going. It turned out to be a bad distributor. I now have a spare coil and ignitor that I carry with me for the time they are needed.
                        Okay perfect! Thats a good point. If it ends up not being the coil or distributor that will be the next thing that I try. Thank you!

Comment

You should try this first. If the distributor is not turning replacing the coil will not fix it. If the distributor is turning the timing belt is not broken, although it may have jumped a notch or two, but we will worry about this later. First issue is getting a spark. After you have confirmed the distributor is turning I would check the high tension lead that connects the coil to the distributor. It needs to have continuity. The easiest way to check it is use a coil wire that is known good, such as one of another car. The likelyhood of this wire being "open" is very low. Next I would try replacing the coil. It is fairly simple to test the coil in your car, however if you have ordered one simply replace yours with the new one. If that doesn't get spark the next easiest component to replace is the ignitor. If you have a salvage yard anywhere near you they are usually under $10. If that doesn't get you spark it is probably a bad distributor.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                            You should try this first. If the distributor is not turning replacing the coil will not fix it. If the distributor is turning the timing belt is not broken, although it may have jumped a notch or two, but we will worry about this later. First issue is getting a spark. After you have confirmed the distributor is turning I would check the high tension lead that connects the coil to the distributor. It needs to have continuity. The easiest way to check it is use a coil wire that is known good, such as one of another car. The likelyhood of this wire being "open" is very low. Next I would try replacing the coil. It is fairly simple to test the coil in your car, however if you have ordered one simply replace yours with the new one. If that doesn't get spark the next easiest component to replace is the ignitor. If you have a salvage yard anywhere near you they are usually under $10. If that doesn't get you spark it is probably a bad distributor.
                            This is perfect. I am going to be back in town here tomorrow morning so I am just going to follow this step by step. I appreciate you breaking it down like you did here. A HUGE help!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by festiva621 View Post
                              Which side of Indy?? I'm right on the Wabash river on 36, and I work in Terre Haute Monday through Friday. Sounds like Rick is putting you on the right track. Get yourself a Haynes manual or Factory Service Manual and a meter, invaluable tools for troubleshooting. Good luck!!!
                              Last edited by radi8u; 11-24-2017, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X