Stripped out Festiva weight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped out Festiva weight.

Does anyone have an estimate of how much a stripped out festiva with a b6t and stock transmission weighs?

Everything in the interior that can be removed is removed except the dash and passenger seat. Even the headliner is gone.

I haven't cut any metal.

My car has the advanced suspension and aspire rims and tires (for now!).
    Last edited by Eviljimchicken; 12-01-2017, 07:11 PM.
    Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
    Something new breaks every day

i wanna know too, they say there is weight to be saved in the dash

Comment

Originally posted by errjam View Post
      i wanna know too, they say there is weight to be saved in the dash
      As in entirely removing the dash or just gutting the stuff behind it? I have been considering trying to take out the tube frame crap.

Comment

You won't get that much of a reduction. Front pass. seat weighs maybe 25#, rear seat ~35#. Carpet, headliner, interior body plastic probably all come to 10# at most. You make the car a lot noisier for no real gain. No one can feel such slight weight reductions.

Many people run without the rear seat for more cargo capability, and less weight in the rear will help handling. I put my full-size spare tire behind the front pass. seat for that reason.

The only reason I see for a radical weight reduction is drag racing. Other than that, pulling stuff out tends to just make the car less useful, and noisier.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Agreed wholeheartedly with Tom. I'm not sure where you're at with your build - went skimming through posts looking for a status report, but I can nearly guarantee that working on reducing charge restriction and improving airflow in/out will benefit you more than any weight reduction attempts. A solid injection/intercooler setup, a mandrel bent exhaust, a remapped ECU, and a frugal manual boost controller will nearly null and void any concerns you have about chassis weight on a daily driver. If they don't, then maybe you should have done a BP-T.
          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

The previous owner of my car stripped it out and lost/threw away the interior parts unfortunately so its a "race car" now lol. My engine does not run consistently well, so the minimal weight savings would be mostly helpful for handling.

I would like to upgrade to a g series trans before doing any performance mods to my engine. If I could only find a seller of a mandrel bent exhaust....
            As for my intercooler I'm using the stock xr2 unit, I saw a post from Charlie about small intercoolers being better because there is less volume in the system or something along those lines, so that's how I'm justifying it to myself.

Comment

You should be 17-1800 w/o the driver. Lots of places like dumps, scrap yards, etc have scales and will probably give you a reading for free.
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
              X