coolant hose question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant hose question

I'm tired of not having a working temp gauge in my car, currently have the fan wired directly to a switch. all previous owners handy work. I want to put one of these inline temp sensors to have some idea if I'm going to over heat instead of wating for the steam to poor from the hood. What size are the hoses on an 88 carby? also is there a better place to put it as is pre/post radiator/thermostat?

this is what I'm looking at for reference:

I'm open to other solutions but am no sure why my current gauge is not working and don't know how to trouble shoot. I also know I'm going to have to buy a display with this setup.

THanks in advance as usual.

The factory fan switch and factory temp sender for the gauge are 2 separate sensors. Have you checked to see if either one still works/ is plugged in?
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Hi -

I blocked off the radiator to get the engine to heat up and then listened for the fan to come on. This would be 185F. When it did, I used a ink marker to draw a yellow line on the plastic instrument panel cover to show where the temp gauge needle was positioned at approx. 185F

I then cut away a little of the "block off" material so it would only "over heat - actually the fan would come on" in stop and go traffic when it was hot.

I used a piece of thin sheet steel to block off the radiator. It could be installed by removing the 2 upper radiator supports and slid in place in front of the radiator. You have to do some cutting and bending to get a good fit - all pretty simple.

But I have also looked at what you are looking at - the inline temp gauge.

The radiator hoses have a inside diameter of 1-1/8", or about 32mm.

Comment

Originally posted by BustaBust View Post
        I'm tired of not having a working temp gauge in my car, currently have the fan wired directly to a switch. all previous owners handy work. I want to put one of these inline temp sensors to have some idea if I'm going to over heat instead of wating for the steam to poor from the hood. What size are the hoses on an 88 carby? also is there a better place to put it as is pre/post radiator/thermostat?

this is what I'm looking at for reference:

I'm open to other solutions but am no sure why my current gauge is not working and don't know how to trouble shoot. I also know I'm going to have to buy a display with this setup.

THanks in advance as usual.
        IMO it's easier to just replace the instrument cluster if the gauge itself is bad, and probably cheaper too. And as w4rkry said, is it possibly unplugged? Another possibility is that you just need a new sensor--a lot cheaper and easier than installing a new gauge and that joint pipe for it.
        Last edited by TominMO; 02-02-2018, 07:13 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
        X