Second hand festiva, timing belt questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second hand festiva, timing belt questions

So I've bought a second hand 1995 Ford festiva gli and it doesn't have any stickers telling me Wether the timing belt has been done or not. It has 156000 km on the clock.
    does anyone know if this is a non interference engine or not? Google searching has not led me to any answers?

I want to drive this car as I've just paid 1000 to get it roadworthy and reg but I'm scared if the timing belt goes then it will be destroyed?
    Any input?
    Thanks legends

Yes. Non-interference.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      Yes. Non-interference.
      Thanks mate!

So this in theory is correct then?

"In a non-interference engine, the pistons and valves don't occupy the same space, so if the timing belt snaps, no valve or cylinder damage occurs. You just pop a new belt on, and the engine should theoretically drive normally."

so i can drive the car without fear of piston damage?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ez007 View Post
        Thanks mate!

So this in theory is correct then?

"In a non-interference engine, the pistons and valves don't occupy the same space, so if the timing belt snaps, no valve or cylinder damage occurs. You just pop a new belt on, and the engine should theoretically drive normally."

so i can drive the car without fear of piston damage?

Thanks
        Yep, just replace it when it pops. Might as well also do the seals on that side along with the water pump when it goes. Also don't forget to put some threadlocker on the crank bolt!
        Last edited by Eviljimchicken; 02-06-2018, 10:38 PM.
        Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
        Something new breaks every day

Comment

are we 100 percent sure on this being non interference? its a 1.3 litre, automatic , 5 door hatch. Otherwise known as a kia Avella i think from my research??

Thanks guys invaluable info here as per usual! legends!

Comment

yep 100%
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Sucks when you break the belt. Out in the middle on nowhere. And have to walk back.

I have broken the timing belt. No other damage. Just replace the belt.

Comment

Evil is correct, depends on your lifestyle, but if you are serious about car reliability, valve cover seals every 30K miles, timing belt, water pump, front main seal, tensioner bearing every 60K, clutch, rear main seal, internal and external distributor seals, and cam seal when the clutch gives up, nominally 90K miles, cooling system hoses and radiator 90K.
                That's just the main stuff for the engine, but is what I have found works well.
                Last edited by Dragonhealer; 02-07-2018, 05:57 AM.
                No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                X