Tranny troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny troubles

Ok, i have 93 that was leaking fluid out the seal where cv axle goes into tranny. I removed cv axle, put in a new seal and drove it a little ways. Came back and parked it and no leaks. Couple days later i took it for 50-60 mile drive, came home and parked it and no drips. Next day came out and pulled pan out and it had fluid in it. I haven't raised it to find out exactly where leaking but i will. I was wondering, is there possibly some kind of vent on the tranny, 5 speed manual, that allows build up pressure to escape to prevent pressure from building up that cause it to blow fluid out seals or anywhere else. TY for help.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Thom, what are you using for tranny fluid? If ATF, consider switching to a thicker alternative. I'm using 20W50 racing motorcycle oil.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

TY Tom. I went out today and drove for 50 miles and even had it up to 85 for about 5 miles. Car ran great. No shimming, shaking or stalling. Came back home, let it set for 2 hours and went back out and pulled out drip pan and it only had 3 small drops under it. I will check again in morning and see how much is under it. I use the ATF. I guess if it leaks more by tomorrow ill switch it over to 20W50. How does that work in the winter thou when it gets down to below freezing. Course i don't drive it that much during the winter so it may work. I'll let you know.
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
        TY Tom. I went out today and drove for 50 miles and even had it up to 85 for about 5 miles. Car ran great. No shimming, shaking or stalling. Came back home, let it set for 2 hours and went back out and pulled out drip pan and it only had 3 small drops under it. I will check again in morning and see how much is under it. I use the ATF. I guess if it leaks more by tomorrow ill switch it over to 20W50. How does that work in the winter thou when it gets down to below freezing. Course i don't drive it that much during the winter so it may work. I'll let you know.
        For winter you could go with 10W40 motorcycle oil. But f the leaking has stopped, then I guess there are no worries.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Well, after sitting for the night i went out and checked the drip pan and there was no fluid in it. Maybe it was just old fluid that had been stuck up in tranny beam. We will see. I can only hope this is the case.
          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

On mine I think I had a little too much fluid in it. I got it to the correct level and my leak stopped. Don't know why but it seems like it worked for me.

Comment

Working...
            X