Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost my 2nd clutch cable today, help with diagnosis please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my 2nd clutch cable today, help with diagnosis please?

Okay so this should be a simple one. About 3-4 months back I thought I "snapped" a clutch cable so I ripped it out, happened to find a replacement in walking distance who for a small fee fitted the new one for me.

Last week I heard a "click" noise and the clutch pedal became less resistant (ie easier to push down). I should have adjusted it there and then but didn't and today it's gone completely. Had to happen in 4 lanes of peak hour traffic so pushing it off the road to a side street was fun but got it there in one piece (pic below, but traffic was much worse when it happened)

Now I don't believe I could have "snapped" another cable in such a short time, obviously I just needed to tighten this one and it's popped out. But prior to the last one popping out I had 24 years of hassle free driving apart from the occasional infrequent adjustments.

So I know why this happened today, but is it possible that part can go bad or is it purely neglect on my part? I can't imagine the cable core itself has snapped at all, looks and feels quite strong.

Last question, this is embarrassing but I'm not quite sure how this goes in and locks into place. If someone could step me through it? I've attached some pics below.

winnie-1.jpgwinnie-2.jpgwinnie-3.jpgwinnie-4.jpg
    200,000KM milestone!

1) There is a clearance specification for the clutch cable.
    2) Do not buy any Powerball tickets for at least one month.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 05-01-2018, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Isn't the cable support thing supposed to be mounted sideways on a bracket, and not directly too the transmission casing?

Maybe its a right hand drive thing?
      Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
      Something new breaks every day

Comment

Ah yeah, it could be a right hand thing. I was wondering if the cable is even the same part for your left hand versions. Photo attached below of mine (i have a spare)

winnie-5.jpg
        200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Yep it's a different cable alright. I'm probably best figuring out this one myself then
          200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Managed to find a brand new cable (rare as hens teeth in Australia) so I'm half way there.

And the old 2 cables were both shattered so I answered that question.

Just stumped on how to remove the old one where it bolts onto the back of the clutch pedal. I'm sure there will be a thread on here somewhere to answer that question though so I'll go hunting now.

winnie-6.jpg
            Last edited by Click_It; 05-02-2018, 02:19 AM.
            200,000KM milestone!

Comment

All done, she's driving again.

I didn't adhere to any clearance specifications, maybe I should look into that. I just went by feel and it feels perfect.
              200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Working...
              X