Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your experiences with trying to get on a track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your experiences with trying to get on a track?

So I've been working on the Festiva to try to get it track-ready. There is a group here called ComSCC that does all the tracks that I'm trying to get into but apparently, modified vehicles like my Festiva get railed. Here's the list of issues I'm running into:

1. Since it has an engine swap they have an algorithm in an Excel sheet to place you in a class. Since at the prime of it's life the Festiva had 63hp and the BP engine makes 127hp at 1720 pounds (online number), it gives it 50 points of "Engine Mods" which require it to have a roll bar. It also puts me in the class with Audi A4s, RX7 Turbos, etc.

2. I need a lower seat because per rules my head has to be 2 inches or more below the top bar. I'm 5'7" so that isn't a problem. HOWEVER, since I'm a novice in their eyes, I have to have a racing seat also for the passenger side, and it too has to abide to the 2 inch rule. So if I get a taller instructor and I can't make the passenger seat any lower than mine, I might be SOL.

3. I need a pair of harnesses, seat brackets, etc. With above it's rough because if I was doing it I would only have done the driver's seat to save cost.

I'm probably going to just do autocross next year because of all these barriers but I don't know if I should even keep the car the year after if I have to put $1500+ in safety equipment in it for $500+ of it to only be used maybe 3 times on a track. If it was stock, I would have no issues.

Anyone else run into these things trying to race with any of your cars?
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Those rules seem super silly to me, but I don't have any experience at tracks to say if it's normal or not.

I would however definitely get your car weighed individually, instead of using numbers quoted online. It is actually really difficult to get a Festiva down to the 1720 area. I weighed a 93 EFI shell once.

No seats, no interior, no side glass, no door glass, no bumpers, no headlights or taillights. It was a B3, 5spd, with dash and steering wheel and a milkcrate. It was 1680 LBS with almost no fuel.

My stock 91 with full interior, no rear seats, added sub box was 1860 LBS.

With the added weight of the BP, I bet you are sitting at least 1850 LBS. Maybe that would be enough to tip the scales in your favor?

Are you still on stock seats currently?
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Sounds to me like you're looking at their time trial rules. If you're running a hpde day you should be fine as long as it passes a basic safety inspection.

Find and register for motorsport events from hundreds of motorsport clubs, race tracks and sanctioning bodies

That should be a list of all events in a 300mi range from you. Chin track days are the best I've found so far but they're kinda pricey. Hooked on driving seems to be a cheaper alternative but I haven't run with them yet. NASA and SCCA are pretty good but you won't get as much track time. Looks like NJMP is about 4 hrs from you. If you want to sign up for something down there I'll sign up also.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by shorestiva; 05-08-2018, 11:40 AM.
      Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
        Sounds to me like you're looking at their time trial rules. If you're running a hpde day you should be fine as long as it passes a basic safety inspection.
        I want to compete, not pay a lot of money to just drive on the track. HPDE is just a class with no competition.

I'll have to see what CART does for their track days. They only run Palmer and some other track I can't remember, they don't run Lime Rock, Walkins, etc.
        Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

You're going to have to do a bunch of hpdes before you can do any competition stuff. I haven't come across a single group that will let you do time trials without prior experience in an advanced hpde run group. It's better to run hpde and learn to drive and make sure it's actually something you will enjoy before spending a bunch of money on extra safety equipment.

Way too many cars

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
            You're going to have to do a bunch of hpdes before you can do any competition stuff. I haven't come across a single group that will let you do time trials without prior experience in an advanced hpde run group. It's better to run hpde and learn to drive and make sure it's actually something you will enjoy before spending a bunch of money on extra safety equipment.

ComSCC requires to run HPDE with them before doing Time Trials, but it's one day, from what I recall.
            Current cars:

Comment

And if I recall right it doesn't matter how many HPDEs you do previous to joining, you still have to run it with them, so it's a moot point at that point.

If I had a stock car, I wouldn't need the safety equipment with them either.
              Current cars:

Comment

Most groups will require you run with a instructor for a session as a check ride if you've run in advanced or intermediate with other organizations.

Way too many cars

Comment

There are a number of groups out there with various rules for racing rookies. Try looking into another group. Any wheel to wheel events will require a roll cage, but not all time trials will.
                  Your power to weight ratio will be high, so as AdvanceDynamic keeps saying, you will find the car is quick against much more expensive cars when it is well prepared.
                  Regarding a tall instructor, sink a seat low and let them find someone who fits. It is unlikely they will not accept you because you can not fit their 6 ft 1 instructor.
                  Consider taking a club base race school to get a race or solo license, then you won't have to continue to deal with the ride along issues. And you are right, they won't count HPDE days as experience.
                  Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                  Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Working...
                  X