Kia Rondo MPGs test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kia Rondo MPGs test

Finally got around to taking my 2009 Kia Rondo out for a fuel-mileage test. It's rated 27 hwy/21 city.

The specs: 2.4L 175hp motor, 4-speed auto, ~3000 lbs weight. All tires at 42 psi. Filled up before and after at the same pump, squeezing every drop in both times.

There was only a 1-2 mph breeze. Temp was in the 70s. I set the cruise control @ 56 mph (55 actual). I had the radio on and the fan set on low, to get some air movement going inside. I also decided to leave the crossbars on the factory rails, figuring that at 55 mph it wouldn't matter much.

I drove my usual loop around the city. The odometer calibrated perfectly with the same 20 miles worth of mile markers I always use to check the odo.

The result: 87.3 miles, 2.5 gallons. 34.9 mpg! Removing the crossbars would have put me over 35 for sure.
    Last edited by TominMO; 06-24-2018, 09:44 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Tom, can you get Rondos without power windows?

I've always liked the way Rondos looked, but I've never seen one without PWs. Not that I've looked at many.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
      Tom, can you get Rondos without power windows?

I've always liked the way Rondos looked, but I've never seen one without PWs. Not that I've looked at many.

Karl
      I doubt it. They were only sold here from 2007 - 09; the Soul replaced it in the US market in 2010. Why do you want non-powered windows specifically?

I don't think Rondos sold well here; I hardly ever see one. But they are good vehicles.

BTW mine has only 75K miles on it. Bought it from my ex last year (with 63K miles) when she moved to the Big Island (where the volcanoes are erupting).

The 27 mpg hwy rating is probably what you would get with cruise control set @ ~65 mph, I'm thinking. So @ 60 mph it would get around 31 mpg. But it's not worth my time/trouble to make these tests.
      Last edited by TominMO; 06-25-2018, 07:40 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks Tom. I just hate PWs. Always have. Always will. Along with gyro stabilized, internet connected, gold-plated platinum packaged power glove compartments and heated pinky warmers and such.

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-26-2018, 07:00 AM.
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Spotted a silver Rondo on my way into work the other day, they're definitely few and far between though.

I'm always impressed by folks that manage to get better than the factory rated mpg out of their vehicles as me and my fat right foot seem to push things to the opposite end of that spectrum.

I'm barely getting 30 out of my Festiva, and was averaging around 8 mpg in my Suburban cruising home at 90mph every night.

I've managed to drop a 4-cyl Dakota into the single digits cruising at 95mph in 4th gear getting around 8 mpg
          1991 Festiva - Newest Toy
          1986 Horizon - The Race Car
          1993 Suburban 2500 - The Workhorse
          1995 Dakota 4cyl - The Eternally Broken

Comment

Originally posted by Dex~ View Post
            Spotted a silver Rondo on my way into work the other day, they're definitely few and far between though.

I'm always impressed by folks that manage to get better than the factory rated mpg out of their vehicles as me and my fat right foot seem to push things to the opposite end of that spectrum.

I'm barely getting 30 out of my Festiva, and was averaging around 8 mpg in my Suburban cruising home at 90mph every night.

I've managed to drop a 4-cyl Dakota into the single digits cruising at 95mph in 4th gear getting around 8 mpg
            Since you're pretty new here and probably haven't read all my MPG tests on my (formerly) stock 1.3L 5-speed Festiva, Here's a kwik summary. All tests done on the same circular(ish) 87-mile stretch of highway around St Louis, warm mornings, minimal wind, keeping the speed constant as best I could (no cruise control). Tires were 155/80x13 on Metro rims.

MPH.......MPG....Comments
            60...........52.5.....Acceptable I guess
            55...........58.0.....Presumably 56.5 MPH would have given me 56.5 MPG :-)
            45...........62.5.....This test was done at dawn on a Sunday, to minimize traffic issues with driving so slowly
            Last edited by TominMO; 07-05-2018, 09:11 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Tom, I take it you did not include driving on I-55 crossing the river into Illinois. I can not ever remember driving that stretch without it being torn up.
              '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
              '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
              '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                Tom, I take it you did not include driving on I-55 crossing the river into Illinois. I can not ever remember driving that stretch without it being torn up.
                Yep, stayed in MO.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                X