Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Mechanics near Michigan who would...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Mechanics near Michigan who would...

...swap out my 88 festiva engine and tranny for a 5 speed efi? Looks like no one wants to buy my 88 so while the body is in great condition I might as well keep it and just swap out the engine and trans. I can leave this over the summer with someone to do the work but would like to have it back by late fall. Let me know. Thanks, Jim Oh, I'm in southern lower Michigan, Jackson County.

Do you have all of the parts for the swap? A festy engine can be pulled in a matter of hours, but converting a carby to efi requires much more than just the engine. You will need all of the associated electronics.
    2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
    1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
    1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by jjk1224 View Post
      Do you have all of the parts for the swap? A festy engine can be pulled in a matter of hours, but converting a carby to efi requires much more than just the engine. You will need all of the associated electronics.
      I'm stupid. I did not realize this. Never mind. I thought it would be an easy swap to an efi.

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
        I'm stupid. I did not realize this. Never mind. I thought it would be an easy swap to an efi.
        It’s alright! The swap is definitely not the most difficult thing to do, but it can become time consuming. I have never done it personally, but I think you would need the fuelpump/tank, engine harness, VAF, ECU and possible a few other small things. What’s wrong with your current engine that is making you consider the swap?
        2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
        1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
        1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

I agree .. takes a little more work but if you can gather all the parts needed it really isn't too hard to install. You just have to remove and replace a lot of stuff.
          Last edited by 1990new; 07-14-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjk1224 View Post
            It’s alright! The swap is definitely not the most difficult thing to do, but it can become time consuming. I have never done it personally, but I think you would need the fuelpump/tank, engine harness, VAF, ECU and possible a few other small things. What’s wrong with your current engine that is making you consider the swap?
            I just don't like the carb. Don't know how to work on it to get it to run better. Only getting mid 30s mpg. Plus the clutch is slipping and I have never messed with clutches. And have the click noise when turning right.

Comment

Working...
            X