ECM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM?

Hello, I have been away for awhile, but now I ready to get back into my 93 festiva … It runs and drives "ok" but, it runs rich as hell and sort of floods out … What I mean by that is when you start it for the first time of the day, it starts just fine. After you run it for a little bit you have to mat it to the floor to get it to start. I can also smell gas and my MPG is down to 30 … question is this, if F.R.E.D.(f**king retarded electronic device) is dead, will it still run and could a bad ECM cause a run rich condition?

If it’s been sitting for a while, the injectors might be sticking open. How long since it’s been run and driven?
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I have been driving it daily (110 miles), I ran a full tank of gas thru it with 3 bottles of injector cleaner about a week ago... no change. I was thinking it might be like some of the old carbureted systems where when the ECM died it just held a solenoid fully open. I had that with an old Camaro one time and had to use some creative manual adjustments.

Comment

I would try unplugging the ECT (electronic coolant temp sensor) in the intake manifold (green plug right behind the passenger side injectors).
        The ECT sends the coolant info to the ECU to adjust the air/fuel ratio. When it goes bad, the car will pick the wrong fuel map (like a very rich one for cold starting) even when the engine is hot. This causes the exact issue you have, very very rich conditions when the engine is warm, making it hard to start, requiring you to floor it.

Unplugging it will make it run a default in-between AFR. If that seems to help, get a new sensor, they are less than $20 at most places.
        Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
        Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
        Feel free to PM me anytime!
        Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
        Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

thank you, I will try that tomorrow.

Comment

so I unplugged the ECT... difference is amazing... thank you very much. Looks like I will be driving it with it unplugged for a few days till the new one comes in... no one seems to have them in stock, I wonder why...lol

Comment

Originally posted by acooper198201 View Post
              so I unplugged the ECT... difference is amazing... thank you very much. Looks like I will be driving it with it unplugged for a few days till the new one comes in... no one seems to have them in stock, I wonder why...lol
              Awesome! Glad to hear it worked!
              Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
              Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
              Feel free to PM me anytime!
              Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
              Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Working...
              X