Random data point: dead battery RESULTS in a blown main fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random data point: dead battery RESULTS in a blown main fuse

So my festy sat for a bit, and the battery went flat. Gave it a boost, it started right up and drove fine. BUT: it popped the main fuse at some point during the first drive. Replaced it, it started right back up and drive fine for trip #2... but popped the fuse AGAIN a short while after heading out.

So anywho, long story short: the fuse will/would blow every time I drove until I put a battery charger on it and got the battery FULLY charged. After that, fuse-blowing ceased, and all normal functions resumed. No more main fuse blowouts.

I had searched and found a post regarding this very same issue, and just wanted to throw my experience out there.
    Last edited by thirdman; 08-24-2018, 08:36 AM.
    Thirdman
    1992 White Festiva L - original owner
    1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

I've noticed my main fuse getting super hot when the battery was charging up from being low. Might be that it just dumps too much power through there, and we need to externally charge the battery?

Comment

I do everything in my power to not allow the alternator to charge a dead battery on any of my vehicles. I realize there are times where it might happen in a parking lot and you have no choice, but if it's at home, the battery gets charged with a charger.
      Rick
      1993 Ford Festiva
      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
      2000 Ford E350

Comment

Alternator puts out 50 amps. That fuseable link is like 20 or 15 or something from factory. Thats why they blow when you boost someone or your charge your battery from dead

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sometimes turning your headlights etc on seems to help with the issue. I guess the theory is: alt is putting out max 50amps, main fuse is 30amp, if you can apply 20a worth of load on other circuits the alt will only be able to charge the battery at 30a so the main fuse won't blow.
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
          X