Looking at buying a 91 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at buying a 91 Festiva

Hey, new member here. I joined to get some advice on buying a Festiva. I've got a line on a 1991, 4spd no AC car , runs, stops and shifts like it should for 800 bucks vs buying a 1989 good running, low mile 5sp w AC for 1800...which is the better way to go? Can I put a 5spd in and ad air for 1K? I'd like to build a sleeper out of it and have a fun little grocery getter instead of driving my 13 MPG one ton truck so much. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by DrFate; 09-05-2018, 04:18 PM.

All 1990+ Manual cars came with 5 spds, so it sounds like that 91 has had a trans swap at some point in it's life.

All 90+ Cars are also EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) Which is typically preferred over the electronic feedback Carbs found in 88/9 Manual cars.

If it has a factory 5spd in an 89, it should be an LX trim, which was the highest trim level at the time. This includes Power Mirrors and a rear wiper.
    Base model (L trim) 88/9 cars were the ones with 4spd manuals.

All trans will swap to all years without issues. 5spds usually go for $150 or less. AC parts can be harder to source (Have to get a full setup used) but it can be added.

I would double check with the seller to be sure the 91 is 4spd. The VIN should be stamped into the block, trans, and firewall. If they don't match, it has been swapped.
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

If I could afford the $1,800 that's the one I would go for.
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I'll get in touch with the seller of 91 and try to confirm. Could be 5 spd and she just doesn't know it? One of those selling it quick cause they need the cash kinda deals. Skip titled (open signed from previous owner 3 years ago) and she doesn't really know much other than she wants it gone. Maybe able to get it for a little less. I floated 700 and she didn't say no so??? Any aftermarket ac systems work in these like those mini under dash units ?

Comment

ISn't 5th gear on these wide and to the top right??? And 4 spd just a standard H pattern?

Comment

Both the 4 and 5 spd are H pattern, I wouldn't consider either one more Standard than another, but yes, 5th is the upper right.
            Both have Reverse in the lower right.

If they are just trying to get rid of it, it may very well be they don't know it is 5spd. Although they also may have the year wrong for the same reason, so keep that in mind!

There was also an Automatic available, it is 3spd.
            Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

I haven't seen the title yet but she says it's titled as a 1991. And by standard i meant typical H pattern on most older cars 1 hi, 2 low, cross to 3 high and 4th low and then 5 wide and hi.

Comment

Both the 4 and 5 speed follow the same H pattern, 5th is just not there on the 4spd.

When/if you see it in person, the build date is on the sticker in the driver door jamb
                Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

I wouldn't pay her until the title transfers. I once bought a car on an open (unsigned) title only to find that the car had two titles. The other title was a duplicate. Duplicate titles supersede the original title. I had a hard time tracking down the legal owner of the car to straighten out the mess. It was all legit. He bought car, lost title, got duplicate, found original (no longer valid) and tossed the duplicate title. Had I not been able to track him down I would have had a very difficult time getting the car legally registered. From my past experience when someone "just wants it gone" beware. There maybe more to the story then they are telling you. I'm not a Festiva expert and can't tell you what years had what transmissions etc. My '93 for whatever reason had a 4 speed knob. I drove it for a week as a 4 speed. One day reliving the past and thinking I was in my '88 I pushed it into 5th gear and to my surprise the car I thought was a 4 speed was a 5 speed.....
                  If you don't need to put it through emission testing I would prefer the '89 with carb. If the carb gives you trouble dump it for a Weber. Swapping carbs may not be legal if you have emission testing.
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Working...
                  X