Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a "MILEAGE MISERS" forum anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a "MILEAGE MISERS" forum anywhere?

Serious -
    Not just US, but people with Golfs, Rabbits, Metros, Mini Coopers (pre-90's) and so on...

The WHOLE NINE YARDS of us, including Honda and Suzuki 350 cars (I had a pair of Honda 600's once)

It almost seems to me like there ought to be an organization of extreme mileage cars that run a rally across the USA once a year. One where you do not win by getting there the fastest or slowest - but by going from coast to coast THE BEST

Does that idea sound as exciting to you as it does to me? Putting long range rally in a new perspective? TIME is within the length of the contest, but the challenge is MPG - and the lowest MPG over the COMPLETED course is what wins

IE: You have "X" amount of time to get there, a generous amount. But you can't have your car pulled by a mule to gain an advantage and arrive in 6 months...

* As I envision it, there would be a class for each fuel type. Diesel, petrol, alcohol, biodiesel, propane, etc...

** At this time, I don't see how an electric car could get from say - LA to Norfolk Virginia - in a reasonable time. But I have been wrong before

I also don't see a way to rate efficiency of electric cars the same as chemical or IC engined machines unless in terms of actual energy expense
    (IE: Coulombs of total electrical use rated by KWAH)

*** KWAH = KiloWatt Ampere Hours

It would be a big event if it ever came to be. Start maybe with a lot of fanfare at the Venice Beach Pier in Los Angeles, and the finish line could be Washington DC or a specified location in Kitty Hawk North Carolina

Interstate Highway 40 figures large in my imaginings

Technically, if I-40 is the "ROAD" of choice, it would run from somewhere in LA California to Wilmington North Carolina - and would earn you the title of "IKE HIGHWAY RUNNER" because interstate forty is called the 'Eisenhower Highway" and you would have run it end to end
    Last edited by Greywolf; 10-04-2018, 04:57 PM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Grey did you not mean to say highest MPG wins?
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I've been from Silver Springs Maryland (and Washington DC) to San Diego California, Seattle Washington (state), to Sarasota Florida by car....

AMERICA is wonderful

Comment

Yes, but gallons of what?
        (RE: Rick the Quick)

Old habits die hard. Can an ADMIN please edit that? i can't - the time ran out for the post

I DID INDEED intend to say the HIGHEST MPG wins, but I was thinking in racing terms and it tripped me...

Shortest, fastest, quickest, but this game is different.
        Okay - so FIRE me...

Among the reasons I think it would be a REAL race or rally is because you have to prove the race car over a long course. You can't just do a mile or so and call it reliable

* I bet I have AdvanceDynamix thinking now...
        "How do I build a bullet proof mini-car?"
        Last edited by Greywolf; 10-04-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Ok, so you and I enter the race in our Festivas. Lets say they put us in 1.3- 1.8 gas powered class. We leave New York at the same time and you arrive in Santa Monica (at the pier of course) ahead of me and make it across the finish line in just over 43 hours. Your fuel consumption comes out to 41.6 MPG. Meanwhile a few hours earlier I know I am ahead of you and can't resist stopping at the In And Out Burger in Victorville. After indulging in a couple In And Out burgers with grilled (onions) I decide to close my eyes for 10 minutes only to wake up 4 hours later. I get back on the 15 and as soon as I hit the 10 I realize my little stop has now put me in the middle of LA's rush hour. 2 hours later I make it to the Santa Monica pier a full 4 hours after the Greywolf. After going through the post race inspection the judges determine my MPG came out to 56.8. How did I do it? So in this situation who comes out ahead?
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

How on earth would you monitor/enforce fuel consumption? Time trial is easy... proof that you were at point A at a certain time, and point B at a certain time.

Comment

Rick - that rush hour would have cost a huge amount of fuel, not the reverse. Burning it while going no where does that, so 56.8 means you probably cheated...

What Smoker wrote is a key point. How do you know nobody got more fuel along the way? Monitor flow at the fuel rail with a locked box of some kind? Have only fixed fuel stops? There are big holes in that part of it.

Travelling in a huge pack has its attractions, like a coast to coast rod run. Two things would interfere with that: Break downs, and nobodies body runs on a strict schedule so bathroom breaks would be random

Honor systems only work as far as you can keep the other guy in sight :angel11:

I suppose groups of about 5 or 6 cars could be tasked to each go with their groups, to vouch for fuel stops and any other stops on the way
              One of them pulls over, you all pull over

I suppose there could be "Ride Along Referee's" who travelled with each group like some kind of 'SKY MARSHALL' or something, a pretty redhead would be ideal for me...

* That should be a sign on my passenger door: Red hair? Green eyes? Freckles? Hop in!
              Last edited by Greywolf; 10-27-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Is there a Redhead Sky Marshall club, so we can all get one?
                No car too fast !

Comment

Of course I cheated, Grey. Cheating is a racing tradition. The great race car mechanic Smokey Yunick said that if rules don't specifically preclude any devices it's legal. If in doubt just hide it. I saw an old photo of the inspectors tearing one of his Nascar racers apart. They had the fuel tank out for inspection. The caption under the photo read something to the effect of "we found 10 violations on you car" Smokey replied "make it 11" as he drove off with no fuel tank.

Comment

Too many guys peeing out the window probably.....

Always wanted a small electric motor drive on one of the back wheels, with some lead acid batteries- that's good for slow speeds, parking lots, creeping freeways and drive throughs, but not much of a factor in such a rally as this

Got caught in an air show traffic jam twoday- what a time consuming mess.

Comment

Drove several Rabbits back in the 70's and early 80's- Take some oil, because the seals aren't what they are on our Festys, and start leaking about 70K-
                      They also DO NOT love a rainy night- dist cap lacks shielding and bogs out in heavy rains.

In similar cars, slipstreaming would win- imagine looing at the back of a semi trailer for most of 3000 miles though!

being davad.jpg
                      Last edited by harpon; 10-28-2018, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X