Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need specs quickly for pinch bolts just to haul Festy parts car I'm buying

I've agreed to buy this parts car:

In order to put it on a U-Haul car dolly, I'm going to temporarily replace the front suspension (w/o drive shafts) to roll the car onto the dolly. The seller has lost most of the suspension fasteners in the six years since he disassembled the front end.

So, does anyone have specs on the pinch bolts (primarily diameter and length of the non-threaded shank) so I can quickly pick up some at my local metric hardware store? I'm not particularly concerned about strength due to the short travel distance and nobody will be occupying the car.

I'd rather not hassle with trying to remove a pinch bolt from another car just to bring the parts car home.

The move is planned for this Saturday Oct 20.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Stock bolt is 10 x 1.25mm x 55mm with 25mm unthreaded, grade 10.9
    You will probably have better luck finding 10 x 1.5mm which is OK with matching nuts. Anything 50mm long or longer is fine, 20 to 30mm shank (unthreaded),
    But for just a tow home, fully threaded, or even 3/8" bolts will get the job done.
    No car too fast !

Comment

HEY !!!
      Without the axles the hubs will come out of the bearings!!!!
      Put the axles in (and fluid in the trans) or get bolts, large washers and lock nuts to hold the hubs in the bearings.
      Last edited by Dragonhealer; 10-18-2018, 01:32 AM.
      No car too fast !

Comment

Dragonhealer,

Thanks for specs.

Can't install drive shafts since the (automatic) gearbox (which is broken anyway, hence was removed six years ago by seller) is being abandoned at seller location. It's just a parts car to me for my fleet of manuals -- includes nice set of 12" better-than-steelie wheels, a/c compressor (hopefully "factory" flavor) and maybe even cottered spindles (it's a 93), etc.
        Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 10-18-2018, 08:39 AM.
        88L black, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Couldn't I just use the outer halves of the outer CV joints of a pair of driveshafts (either automatic or manual) to secure the bearings?

After removing the boot from an outer CV joint, the joint will just separate into outer and inner halves (with the ball bearings falling onto the floor), right?
          88L black, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Knock the outter joints off some junk axles and just install the outters. For really short movements I have installed axles and hung them in position with ratchet straps/ I have also used big hardware store nots and bolts to hold them together I think they were 3/4 x 5 inch.
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Ricko 1966, that's perfect, the splined joints from old axles!
              Last edited by Dragonhealer; 10-18-2018, 10:50 AM.
              No car too fast !

Comment

I could even use the seller's automatic drive shafts which are sitting next to the car. Since the gearbox isn't in the car, there's plenty of space to ratchet-strap them to something.'

BTW, I hold a Masters Degree in Ratchet Strap Engineering -- here's an example of my work!

2015 09 24 -- crane with bellhop device used by crane to lift itself up onto pile cap.jpg

The yellow structure is used by the crane to lift itself into position.
                Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 10-18-2018, 02:50 PM.
                88L black, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Lol!
                  Many years of experience and study to get that degree!
                  Don't forget those axles have to turn to roll it on to the dolly...
                  No car too fast !

Comment

I decided to "borrow" all of the parts I might need to get the new member of my fleet home from my 91GL with AC+PS which is badly in need of front end overhaul anyway. Amazingly, everything, including the pinch bolts, came off with ease -- no WD40, no hammering, no cheater bars, nothing. The front axle nuts are 28mm, which I couldn't find, but 1-1/8" (aka about 28.5mm) did the job.

I did find evidence of attempts to "stake" the big nuts -- hardly necessary when properly tightened!
                    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 10-19-2018, 09:44 PM.
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I use a 29mm impact socket for the front axle nuts. Always seem to work perfect except on some aftermarket nuts which are 32mm.
                      The Festiva Store
                      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

"Borrowed" parts successfully used to re-install front suspension on newly-acquired Festy, which I brought home using a U-Haul pickup and tow dolly.

I left the broken automatic transmission with seller, who said he would offer it as "free" on CL Seattle.
                        88L black, dailydriver
                        4 88/89 disassembled
                        91L green
                        91GL aqua pwrsteer
                        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Do you have a 1989 automatic car? Something chewed up my Underhood wiring and 1989 automatics are different than everything else, so the Haynes manual schematic isn't right.Im just trying to find 1989 automatic car owners I can ask to look at some wires here and there as I try to fix this mess. Thanks
                          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Ricko,

Is your question above to me? If so, the answer is Yes -- I bought the car primarily for its allow wheels and general spare parts. Every Festy that I drive is a manual.

But I see that you're in Kansas ...
                            88L black, dailydriver
                            4 88/89 disassembled
                            91L green
                            91GL aqua pwrsteer
                            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Working...
                            X