Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Brass Screws on Underseat Storage Tray Rails

Guys -

Perhaps this is a stupid question but is there any trick anyone knows to get the brass screws on the underseat storage tray rails out?.....ya know, something other than "out" is counter-clockwise? :highly_amused:

I've tried removing these 4 screws on at least 3 different Festivas so I can get the rails for the underseat tray but I always end up stripping most of the brass screw heads. Aggravating. I've tried PB Blaster and tapping the screws with a hammer to hopefully break the screw's bite but still I end up stripping the heads.

Do you guys usually have the same problem?, and if so do you just resort to drilling the screws out? If you drill them out how do you not destroy the threads in the tray rail tabs?

Thx in advance!
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

To avoid stripping screw heads I use a screw driver bit on a ratchet wrench. Use the biggest bit which fits so there is no play when turning. You can press on the head of the wrench with one hand to keep the bit tightly set in the screw head while turning. Another thing I've done on the soft screws holding the top of the curburettor on is use a very big pair of pliers to grab the head and turn to get the screw started. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 11-10-2018, 07:03 AM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
      To avoid stripping screw heads I use a screw driver bit on a ratchet wrench.
      Hadn't thought about using a ratchet wrench. I'll give it a shot. I have no earthly idea why these the tray rail screws are put on soooo freaking tight. It's not like there's any safety requirement to put them on so tight, like cranking down on a lug nut, etc. It's nice the screws don't rust but brass is so ridiculously soft.
      Last edited by Twistiva; 11-10-2018, 10:45 AM.
      88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
      88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
      91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
      93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Working...
      X