Considering Swapping the 3spd auto to a 5spd Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Swapping the 3spd auto to a 5spd Manual

Gents, I just got a 93 Festiva GL for a commuting car to work. It runs great but I was curious how hard it would be to swap the 3spd auto to a 5spd manual. Would it be worth the cost/work? Are there any specific things that need done other than the obvious ones?

Thanks,

Colton

Mine was pretty simple but I think you need to locate a donor car first for all the misc pieces. What I ended up replacing. Clutch and flywheel.pedal cluster,shifter and shift rod ,speedo cable,axles,starter,transmission mounts. I replaced the steering column and the transmission crossmember but do not really think that was neccesary,I couldn't see any visual differences, splice your neutral safety switch wires together and splice the backup light wires.I pulled the radiator then the engine and trans as an assembly and went back in as an assembly.FWIW I think on the auto cars dropping everything out the bottom is the fastest way because the transmission wants to hit everything coming out the top.On manual cars I prefer coming in and out from the top. I did have some help coming out and going in,do have almost every tool known to man,and had a parts car sitting 50 feet from the project car. It probably took 4-6 hours give or take. 2 evenings from about four until I wanted dinner. Do not forget to stick something in the axle side gears to keep them from falling into the transmission.I didn't have to cut,weld,fab anything at all .
    Last edited by ricko1966; 11-16-2018, 01:44 PM.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

there is a swap guide do a search. its not hard. I do the swap in two weekends (done two). First weekend swap out the pedals. thats the hardest part. laying on your back and working under the dash. then swap out the trans the second weekend.

5spd is good for the interstate. and 10 more mpg. if its just city driving an auto is ok.

Comment

Working...
      X