Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

parts graveyard. what have you destroyed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parts graveyard. what have you destroyed?

Hello Festi-maniacs! I have been crawling through this forum for about a week now learning from all of you and getting to know everybody. I must say you all are great. I am in the planning process of my very own project car (starting with an 88 L carb 4 speed) and I thought this might be a fun post to introduce myself. What have you worn out, killed, or replaced?
    Building on a budget sucks

Welcome to the board

If you are talking about a Festiva being killed ,or worn out parts ,and replacing .

I can't wear it out , it is the most dependable car I have ever owned ,
    The bearings in my tranny were on there way when I got the car , so I had the tranny rebuilt and replaced the clutch at that time .

Repacked the wheel bearings several times , I have replaced the front rotors twice , the first 2 sets actually melted down , now it has a Raybestos Rotor set on it .

I did replace the lower control arm assy's and swaybar bushings and had a torn CV boot.

Replaced the fuel pump several times FI ( in the tank pump )

I have upgraded a bunch of things on my Festiva , BUT I can't actually recall breaking anything . As for other cars ,
    I have sent a bunch to the scrapper , I like my GM cars ,but it is always something with them . I would put my Festiva up against most anything for dependability as would others IF it has been 1/2 way maintained .

How many cars do you know that have 470,000 + miles on them ??
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Wow, that was exactly what I was looking for and what a testament, 470,000 . I have a hard time getting my former cars past 150,000.

Thanks
      Building on a budget sucks

Comment

150k is break in on a well maintained Festiva.. 300k+ average if taken care of with regular inspection and replacement of old worn parts..

Comment

durability

Yeah man, welcome! I've seen 2 festivas this month here in Roanoke, VA with 378,000 (carbed) and 389,000 miles (efi). The rear wheel bearings, e brake cable, and muffler are the only weak spots on a festiva. If you are brutal to a transmission you can knock out some gears, but thats only if you are brutal. I plan to do the aspire brake swap on my 91. I've got an 89 L that I'm thinking about putting a b6t in. Aspire brakes for that one to. If you stay bone stock on the engine and trans and just change the oil they will just go and go. I have 2 now, but I've had 14 total. I've said it before I'll say it again. Festiva, best car.... ever. Good luck!
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Re: durability

Originally posted by carbonvmax
            If you are brutal to a transmission you can knock out some gears, but thats only if you are brutal.
            that's how i blew my tranny

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

We have been racing Festivas on circle track dirt for 4 years and have only had one DNF for mechanical failure, a blown head gasket. I love it when the track announces a big race like a 100 or 150 lapper. There will be 26 or more cars start the race and only 10 or 12 will finish it and the Festiva will be one that is there at the finish. The Festiva has taken some hard hits and is still able to contine which is amazing considering how light they are built. We run a 1/3 mile track all the way around in second gear - 5500 rpms through the corners and 7000+ at the end of the straights.
              You gonna race that thing?
              http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

sweet!

Originally posted by Festy46
                We have been racing Festivas on circle track dirt for 4 years and have only had one DNF for mechanical failure, a blown head gasket. I love it when the track announces a big race like a 100 or 150 lapper. There will be 26 or more cars start the race and only 10 or 12 will finish it and the Festiva will be one that is there at the finish. The Festiva has taken some hard hits and is still able to contine which is amazing considering how light they are built. We run a 1/3 mile track all the way around in second gear - 5500 rpms through the corners and 7000+ at the end of the straights.
                SWEEEEEEET! Crazy fun!
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid
                  If you are brutal to a transmission you can knock out some gears, but thats only if you are brutal.
                  me too, twice. But that was about 12 years ago when I was still crazy! 8^) I knocked out 2nd and then third in my first festiva (89 L) and 3rd and then 2nd on my second festiva (89 L) I don't do that anymore.

p.s. I still think your scoops make the coolest festiva hood ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid
                    me too, twice. But that was about 12 years ago when I was still crazy! 8^) I knocked out 2nd and then third in my first festiva (89 L) and 3rd and then 2nd on my second festiva (89 L) I don't do that anymore.

p.s. I still think your scoops make the coolest festiva hood ever!
                    i didn't blow the gears, i blew the differential, so i could still drive it in every gear but it shook the hell out of the car

thanks about the hood

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Hey, Carbonvmax talked me into opening up my 5 speed that was making noise. Found out that the original input bearings are sealed units and that is typical weak spot in those trannys. When mine was making noise I got another trans from a salvage yard - same thing! Then on "Click and Clack" some festiva guy calls in with exactly the same problem. So I must say that is a weakness. Mine failed and I did not abuse it and had owned if for about 3 years (Previously, who knows). Don't let this worry you though because I will soon have a spare if you ever need it.

Comment

Great job Roycehof! What did click and clack say? Any praises for the festiva? what about the caller?

Comment

The general concensus was that it was time for the guy to move on. The guy stated he had 225K mi. on it. They poked a little fun at the festiva (they had a laugh on us), but nothing sinister. They mentioned that parts would be hard to find and that they weren't very popular cars. They threw in the safety factor (little, with no airbags). With all that said - they said to get something newer and safer - forget about fixing the transmission (cost morethan it's worth). I guess if you never owned one, you would give the guy the same advise. If they called me I would have told the guy how easy it is to get the transmission out, including all the tools he needs, and how to pop it open and replace that bearing (although honestly, to do the transmission right you do need special tools to check the clearances and set the differential pre-load - but you could just do the one input bearing and I'm sure you could get away with it for a while). All I can say is another one bites the dust- OR some lucky guy will get a bargain. I prefer to think the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46
                            Wow!! that sounds like my drive to and from work, northeastern pa to montville nj everyday, 65 miles.

never once a DNF for me! I try to get too and from as quick as possible to cut the ride down under and hour and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof
                              They mentioned that parts would be hard to find and that they weren't very popular cars.
                              Ha ha ya right , I had a full bearing set over night !!

- they said to get something newer and safer - forget about fixing the transmission (cost morethan it's worth). bargain. .
                              Ha ha ya right , I had a full bearing set over night !!

Love is in the eyes of the beholder
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Working...
                              X