a/c powered intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c powered intercooler

well guys here it is, it's an idea i had last weekend while thinking about my friend turbo civic...

so pretty much you just encase the intercooler in a box made with sheets of aluminum or some type of medal, you take the hoses from your a/c and run it through the intercooler causing the intercooler(and the air within) to become super cold...

sorry i didn't go very in depth but you pretty much get the idea...
    There is no replacement for displacement, except for the turbo in my basement.

the old Ford mach3 proto had one on it.
    69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
    97 Jag xk8 vert
    06 Mini Cooper S GP
    93 Stiva
    04 Volvo S80

Comment

Mercedes has used the low side a/c line to cool the fuel to the injectors for years . the fuel line passes through the a/c low pressure line.

Comment

There was a Cobra kit car in a magazine quite a few years ago running a 2.3 Turbo where they did this, and said it worked great.
        1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
        1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
        1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
        1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
        1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
        1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
        1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

One thing is it robs quite a bit of power, powering the a/c compressor
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

then the question is do the benefits of the colder air outweigh the horsepower to power it?

Comment

yes they will but you lower the effeicentcy of the turbo down to the range of a roots style blower
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

what if you don't enclose the turbo with the a/c ducting but instead just have the a/c blowing on it so it would be like nitrous or water spraying on the intercooler.

Comment

the a/c compressor is still robbing power from the crank by turning the compressor. Ever notice how the car doesn't seem to have as much power when the a/c's on thats because it doesn't. Notice the drop in mpg, a/c robbing power, because the engine has to more work to make the same power.

Comment

wait why did you say enclose the turbo? im only enclosing the intercooler itself not the piping or anything else... its simply to make only the intercooler really cold, like the air in a fridge

Comment

sorry i meant to say intercooler not turbo.

Comment

Working...
                      X