Found one car repair I can't do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found one car repair I can't do

Replacing half-shafts. The first time replacing the drivers half-shaft on my 88 the car fell on my thumb (the only thing I couldn't get out of the way). Left a good reminder that came in handy today. Today is was trying to remove the drivers half-shaft on the 95. I finally managed to get my prybar where it would catch and pushed on it just a little bit and what do you know. I wasn't under this time, lesson learned. I even used jack stand . Managed to squish one jack stand real good and put a dent in the cat. I think i'm going to use my engine hoist when doing this particular repair.. or chain it to a tree. Someone reallys need to invent a better way to remove half-shafts.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Sounds like you just need better jack stands if an aspire squished em. Glad you kept your thumb clear this time anyways. Be careful
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I always use one jackstand on each side of the car. I put the jack a little farther back than it is supposed to be to lift up the car, then I put the jackstands right at the main lift points for the jack... its pretty stable that way
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

yeah I always use 2 jackstands and a real jack not those stupid sissor things.. Jackstand behind the front wheels about 3" past the beginning of the doors.. Usually I have something heavy enough in the back like my tool box so unless I pull all my weight on the front, it won't tilt..

Comment

I put the jack stands under the frame I guess I should put them further out. Something heavy in the rear is a good idea.. I found a task for the wife :lol:
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

lol hey now dont be mean to the misses, didnt u hear about the lady that tried to shoot her husband while he sat in is lazyboy?
            2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
            1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
            1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
            http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

at a junkyard here in st.louis a guy was killed when using a sisor jack to hold up a car and the car came down on his head. now there are signs saying do not raise cars.

Comment

I think i'm going to invent a sandwich cv joint popper. Slides between the tranny and the joint and basically just just crank the bolt till she pops. In theory I can make it work if I can find everything I need and don't bust the tranny in the process. I have a harmonic/generic pulling set so i'll use it to rig something up.
                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I leave the wheel on the rotor and use the weight of it and the grip you can get on it to help pull it out.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by carbonvmax
                    I leave the wheel on the rotor and use the weight of it and the grip you can get on it to help pull it out.

Be careful doing this, you don't want to pull the bearings in the cv out of it's sleaves. Then you have to take the boot off and put everything back together, and CV grease is a dirty whore to keep from getting everywhere.
                    Www.gemstatepestsolutions.com

Comment

That's happened to me when I was replacing a driveshaft on my Mom's car... the stupid inner bearing slid right out of the cup because I thought it was like the Mazda design where its held in by a retaining ring (FYI).
                      * Retired Festiva-er*
                      1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
                      B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Found a better way. Take a harmonic balance puller and wedge it between the axle and housing. Make sure the tightening bolt isn't on one of the lips, if you look at the transmission you'll see what I'm talking about. Tightened the puller and tap on the axle with a hammer. Retighten it again and tap on it again. Mine popped out on the second tightening. But do not tighten it to much or you might put a hole in the tranny.
                        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by CelicaGT4
                          Originally posted by carbonvmax

Be careful doing this, you don't want to pull the bearings in the cv out of it's sleaves. Then you have to take the boot off and put everything back together, and CV grease is a dirty whore to keep from getting everywhere.
                          thanks!
                          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                          X