Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll always say, the best car i ever owned was a 4-door '91 VW Golf

quick and fun right out of the box,
    but with tons of fairly inexpensive aftermarket available.
    i kept up with it as much as i could, though it never had any major problems.
    i trusted that car more than anything i've ever driven. long trips, 100mph on an open highway, everything.. got it with 90k miles and drove the thing up too 230k miles and it was still going strong, but i sold it, regret that ever since..
    i'm getting all teary eyed..

Comment

turbo dsm? they are cheap, fast, and pretty reliable.

Comment

Just buy another Festiva and be done with it .
        ------------------------------------------------
        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Yeah, I still might do that. There is a 93 for sale for 800 magic beans.

DSMs are cool. I had a MK2 GLI 16V. Good car, Surprised this Saturn V6 that was going all fast, then slow, then fast then he stopped at a stoplight and woudn't go! I honked and he flipped me the bird so I went around him, and he tried not to let me I dropped a VR6 in that car. Great car. Low 14s. I like low 14s. I want mid 13s...mmmm.

I've found an SHO and a Turbo RX7. There is a Turbo DSM but it's got starter issues. I can't help but wonder what else is wrong with cars that have issues when they are cheep. Is it better just to pay more for a car in better shape?
          Do Vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticle31
            Yeah, I still might do that. There is a 93 for sale for 800 magic beans.

DSMs are cool. I had a MK2 GLI 16V. Good car, Surprised this Saturn V6 that was going all fast, then slow, then fast then he stopped at a stoplight and woudn't go! I honked and he flipped me the bird so I went around him, and he tried not to let me I dropped a VR6 in that car. Great car. Low 14s. I like low 14s. I want mid 13s...mmmm.

I've found an SHO and a Turbo RX7. There is a Turbo DSM but it's got starter issues. I can't help but wonder what else is wrong with cars that have issues when they are cheep. Is it better just to pay more for a car in better shape?
            I like paying very very little for a festiva that needs something, then doing the work myself.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by festivus
              turbo dsm? they are cheap, fast, and pretty reliable.
              except the trannies are made out of glass.
              91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
              00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
              88 gtx
              74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

i bought a 91 323 hatch for $200 thinking to pull the engine (b6 sohc) for the festy project but i was pretty impressed with the handling, acceleration and quiet solid ride that i decided to plate it and let rust decide when it's time to junk it. i'm tempted to use some of FMS b6 speed parts that i have on it since the festy plan has been upped to a b6 dohc. i can imagine putting a b6t into a 323 would be a little more spacious than the festy and the trannys gotta be stronger. the brakes and suspension seems way overbuilt as i think it was lifted straight from the base protege.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticle31
                  Very cool! The Isuzu Impulse RS has AWD and Handling by Lotus! Might be a good car, make a little more power from that turbo engine and have fun!
                  Parts are hard to find & expensive
                  It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

what i would do

ok, impulse rs, metro turbo, the turbo k-car, and the hyundai are all rare.
                    not good for daily use, same with the sho. you want a reliable car that takes miles a festiva is good, but i also like the 1994-98 626\contour
                    small efficient 6, parts are everywhere, and svts are pretty common if you want a more stylish version. the mazda mx-3 is also nice, provided its a gs with the v6, which is a destroked version of the 2.5 so you can swap in a late model taurus 3 liter for some real fun later. ive owned an impulse rs, they made only 300 or so of em for us market, k cars have weak headgaskets and trannys, ive got a shleby lancer in pieces atm for said reasons, sent 2 other k cars to the salvage yard for dead trannys an blown heads, ive only seen one metro turbo so far, and it was in a yard missing its head, and all the hyundai s coupes ive seen were non turbo
                    slugs with myriad issues.

you could also check out an 87-92 vw golf gti, 16v are very nice, owned one of those too, jes parts can be expensive if you arent careful
                    is not sposed ta do that...
                    05 subaru legacy gt
                    1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
                    1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

I know where you can get a A555 trans for a turbo mopar. Strongest one they made
                      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by festivaWES
                        go get a 80-83 corolla rwd 3TC motor tons of upgrades can even put ae86 suspension components on it.......dual sidedraft weber/mikuni/ets....a set of konig rewinds and some 215 50 13's.
                        YES!!!
                        * Retired Festiva-er*
                        1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
                        B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

hmm

actually the A- 568 was stronger than the 555. i had both. i also have two dsms atm with severe wiring issues. anyone wants em all you have to do is come down with a trailer since ive got them somewhat torn apart.
                          i used to do alot of modding with k-cars, and id probably own one right now, jes i cant find one. oh, one other curious thing, the v-6 in late model k-cars shares its block with the one in the 3gt\stealth. ive always wanted to try swaping a 3gt drivetrain into a shadow. something to try later i guess.
                          is not sposed ta do that...
                          05 subaru legacy gt
                          1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
                          1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

also the avenger has the same block as the 3000gt

Comment

I've been doing a little bit of poking around. Most of the turbo cars mentioned are decent. The only thing I've found (no telling if the info is accurate!) is that stock they aren't as quick as the SHO. However, the SHO pretty much has a cap at mid-high 14s depending on year, weight, and driver. That's after you spend big bucks on a good intake and exhaust with better Y pipe, big butterflies, and some other stuff. The only thing I can wonder is how much it costs to get them (the turbo cars) running right and boost their level of fun up a little bit. They have further to go, maybe.

All wheel drive is good, I'd love to play with AWD. If the older quattros wern't so dang slow I'd be all over those! I haven't really found any of the Japaneses sporty AWDs for sale.

Comment

OK, so the SHO might not be such a good thing. They love the maintenance and it costs alot. I tend to beat things to death researching every little thing. I guess I'll look into the K cars, Corolla, FWD VWs, 626, Contour.

I still wonder if I want to avoid FWD just to have something different then what I've been driving recently. So many choices!

Comment

Working...
                                X