catalytic converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catalytic converter

was wondering if any advantage to removing catalytic converter? as to improved performace and h.p. . no emission testing here so dont have that to worry about.
    1992 black GL
    1991 white GL
    1991 blue L parts car
    1992 blue L from Japan R.H.D.
    1948 ford conv. hot rod

Yes it does help some.. the minus is the smell. Unless it's about to fall off leave it alone otherwise it would be cheaper to install a straight pipe.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

catalytic convertor [unless melted/blocked] has less back-pressure than average glass-pack muffler. also if you do go somewhere else there are locations which have random checks for emissions and they don't care what was ''allowed'' where you live-citation,possible impound untill repaired.
      91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
      93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
      1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
      1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

just go get a high flow cat like magnaflow or catco....i personally don't like them so there for i don't run one. My car will be in Missouri soon and you don't have to have one where i will be living. I doubt if the festiva will ever see KC or STL
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

They do visual inspections in Missouri. So if you don't have one you won't pass.. unless you know somebody.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

They stick a mirror under your car in Ohio looking for the convertor.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32
              They do visual inspections in Missouri. So if you don't have one you won't pass.. unless you know somebody.
              Visual inspection in Marshfield...... Your tail lights work? Yeah your headlights work? Yeah.....Congrats you passed the inspection.

Comment

I have friends that live in Marshfield.. you probably just some poor bloke in trouble. What is there one or two inspection stations there?
                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I ran the FMS full exhaust for awhile with a regular stock cat... It would loud, but not to the point where it bothered me... I had a bit of a rattle in the cat from it falling apart, so I took it off and smashed the insides out... The exhaust got 3x louder and was almost unbearable to drive in. Carpet didn't help quiet it down either.

I noticed no performance gain from having it gutted and honestly... I don't think you will either.
                  Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Super K lube on the main drag headed to the courthouse. What the hell is a bloke?? I probably will put a cat back on it though due in time when i get my Genie header....

Comment

I'd remove that if I was you.. they can get fined for that. Bloke I think is british for man.. don't know sounded good at the time.
                      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

in st.louis mo you need the emmision inpection aslo

Comment

i dont have a cat on my car and mine "Passed" both emission and inspection in pa and it was never inside the shop. its great to know nomebody who has state insp and emi certs
                          Jason
                          wishing i had a festi again

Comment

Most cars here will pass without a cat as long as they run good. That is why they actually look under the car.
                            Brian
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                            :fish:

Comment

So has anybody actually removed the cat and found that the car ran better/faster/improved mileage etc. then?
                              Tell it like it is...not how it should be

Comment

Working...
                              X