Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my story on trying to pick up a car

just to warn you this is kinda of a long story

i had bought the car from logan with the air ride on it and just needed to get a truck and trailer lined up to go get it, well i was planning on leaving the 28th (thursday) to go get it, and like the day before i found out that the truck and trailer i was going to use, was getting new shocks put in on the back so i couldn't use either, so i tried to find someone else with a truck and trailer to go get it and no luck, a friend of mine said he could go but not til the next day, not a big deal i just didn't want to wait the extra day

anyway, we never did get a trailer but i had a tow bar (which i've used many times without problems) so we were on our way, and by the way it's about a 5 - 6 hour drive one way

just as we were leaving the rad hose decided to pop off of the rad (the part that has the lip to hold the hose on was broken off from before) so we quickly put the hose back on, filled it back up with anti-freeze and were on our way, well we get about an hour and a half to 2 hours away from where the car is and the motor starts knocking, not really that loud but enough that i was starting to get a bit worried, by the time we got there the knocking was loud enough that we didn't feel comfortable towing a car back that far so we made an attempt to maybe get the car drivable so it wouldn't be a wasted trip, well no luck getting it drivable so we had to leave it behind

for the whole time we were coming back the knocking just kept getting louder and louder and we got about 50 - 60 miles away from the border (still in the U.S.) and the motor blew, looking back there was a huge cloud of smoke, all the traffic was slowing down for us so we could pull over, it was quite the site

so there we are on the side of the highway in a different country and no possible way to fix the truck, so the first thing we did was found out which mile marker we were at so we could call a tow truck to at least get us off of the highway, in the meantime my friend andrew (who owned the truck) was calling a friend of his who lived in niagara falls to see what kind of options we had for as far as getting us and the truck home

when the tow truck got there, we asked how much it would cost to get towed to the border, he was guessing around 400 bucks, and none of us has CAA or for the U.S. AAA so we got it towed to a park and ride just outside of Leroy NY and that alone cost 100 bucks!!! just for a 10 mile tow!!!! we got andrews friend to come pick us up there and went back to his place for the night in niagara falls

well all day we were trying to find someone with a truck to be able to go down and pick up the truck before the police had it towed to some impound yard, and could not find anyone with a truck that wasn't broke down, we even tried renting a truck and since i don't have collision on my insurance, we couldn't get one

well late into the afternoon, andrews mom came to where we were, and she has CAA + which because it had the + we were covered in the U.S. so we had to drive back down to where the truck was wait for a tow truck come and we got it towed to the border under AAA and CAA had to come pick it up from there, and we just had it dropped off of at andrews friends house so he would be able to bring it home next weekend, i finally got home about a half an hour ago (2:30 a.m.) after leaving around 8 a.m. friday morning

this has had to have been the worst trip ever, froze my a** off waiting for a tow truck and didn't even get to bring my festiva home

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Yeah I feel you on a trip to get a festy gone bad. Hope things go better for you.
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

ya, at least you got your festiva home,hopefully it'll go better on the next attempt to get it

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Yeah but I was in ithica & was suppose to get that car also but I lost the extra driver.
        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

If you decide that you don't want that car... Let me know.
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

hehe

Simon you must really want that car, I have another one you can take cheap. PM me.

Comment

hopefully soon i'll have her at my place

Comment

Working...
              X