Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the point of grounding wires on plug wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the point of grounding wires on plug wires?

i found these on ebay (i know i should just answer my question right there) and they have ground wires on the spark plug wires?! are the just for looks or would they actually serve some thing?

-Ian
    :?
    Ian Carr
    88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
    99' S70 T5M- faster DD
    86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

The only thing =I can think of is grounded shielding, Helps reduce noise in the stereo

If a plug is firing correctly you MAY only see a VERY SMALL gain in performance by going to a high dollar ignition system. Most of the data I have seen on large engines ( big block chevys) is maybe 2-4 HP on a 700 HP engine.
    money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

In the past at least, these grounded plug wires were usually used with capacitive discharge ignition systems. Not sure what else they're needed for. Not even sure they were necessary on any street car, ever, even with CD ignition.

Comment

They help out a little do to the improving spark with a better ground. Hence why they sell earth kits. Have you ever seen anyone put a motor in with no grounds? If it does run they generally run funny. I bought a set thos wires and seem to be nice for the price. But still dont run yet so I cant give you a report on them.
        "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

The way they have it, it will make no difference at all. The insulation doesn't conduct, so grounding it does nothing. You're better off providing more ground to the head, as that is the return path from the plugs.
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

maybe help prevent arcing?

Comment

Re: what is the point of grounding wires on plug wires?

Originally posted by project b6t
              would they actually serve some thing?
              They probably make money for whoever sells them :roll:

Comment

Working...
              X