Forum rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum rules

Okay guys im putting this on here because i got 2 messages from somone today because i said the "offensive" version of crap in a reply.
    I realise there are words that are prejudice and offensive and or crude, but the word i used happens to every human being like everyday of his life. I am against the rule of absolute no swearing, because there should technically be no children on FF.com. Last time i checked u had to be 16 to legally drive a car, and you have to have a full license to register or insure a car. So in my opinion, why would a child say 12-13 years old (any older and they are using the words themselve) be on a forum, that is dedicated to the production/restoration and/or purchasing of vehicles that you are required to by law, be 16 years old to own.

I am looking for opinions for against or for the no swearing rule, with exceptions of course.
    And just for the record, what stops these children from lying under the terms of agreement and just entering "the arena" topic in the forum? where they will be introduced to every word imaginable that isn't racist or prejudice.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Bowls wrote:

" I am against the rule of absolute no swearing"

What are you saying? You think there would be an instance when swearing would be required in some posts ?

Good luck with that one ! :?
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

no im saying if i accidently write the word SHI_ (you can figure the rest ou) because ive had freedom of speech on the internet for like what 5 years? and i think trying to stop people from saying something that isn't a vulgar swear word, is just ridiculous. It's just a word, and children hear their parents say it more than they'll read on the forum.

I got nothing against keeping vulgar language to a minimum but, if somone thinks their old enough to say a word, than they feel they are old enough to back it up, and those who arent will find themselves in a sticky situation.
      I just think considering this forum was designed for Festiva/Aspire etc. owners, which are people who are 16 and older, (If not then i doubt they are much younger than 15, who buys a car and does research on repairing it age 12?) that we should have freedom of speech as long as it is not directed at others.

Comment

Well, personally I like the no language rule... I understand that sometimes in normal conversation we say words that some might consider offensive, however, since this is the internet, we have the luxury of just reading over our posts right quick before we hit the "submit" button. So the excuse that it just "slipped out" will never be a valid one. Besides that, curse words aren't really a necessity... it is possible to communicate without swearing at all, even in normal everyday conversation. I understand in the arena sometimes people need to vent and a lot of the time cursing is a part of the venting process, however, I don't think it necessary to describe my BP car as being "fast as (insert word of your choice)" or otherwise using curse words to describe things... there's thousands of words in the english language that can be used to accurately describe something, but there's too many of us that resort to our four letter friends as a description for everything that exists in the world. So yep, thats my take on it, if there is a problem and someone needs to vent in the arena, then thats the place to do it, but other than that, if ya need a good word, grab a thesaurus and find one :idea:

[end rant]

P.S. I was surfing the Ford Taurus forums when I was 12 cause I was going to get our family station wagon when I turned 15 and got my permit... not really important but it does disprove the theory that NOONE under the age of 16 does research on cars..
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

when you were 12... how old are u now? and i understand it isn't a necessity, but this website isn't a necessity either.
          I understand that the rule most likely wont change, but be a realist, swearing is part of the north american lifestyle, i dont know anyone who does not swear at all. even my grandmother who is a hard core catholic swears once in a while.
          Look at it this way, People who believe in god, find it offensive if u say god does no exist. And in their point of view god doesn't exist, and that would be their religion, so it would be offensive to say god existed. Just put swearing into the equation instead of god. There are people who are offended by it, and there are people who are offended that there is no freedom of speech.

your post went up just before mine packrat.
          I don't know all about PHbb especially this one it is a little bit older, but newer versions have curse world scramblers, like taking the F word and scrambling it to %$#$. This way people who want to swear, get their point accross or people who do it by accident do not get penalized.
          And having a spot to swear at in the forum, but not in the rest of it is a contradiction.
          Its the same as ur parent's saying, You can swear all u want at home, but if u swear outside of home, you will be punished.
          Habits grow, i don't know about the rest of you, but i have a terrible habit of swearing that i should break

Comment

Some people come here because they know they don't have to read it in every post (swearing ) , like some sites do , some have no rules and things get out of hand .

That's the most part of it , most do not like to see every other word as a cuss .
            That is why we have the Arena,. it use to be only for registered members , before we made it mandatory that every one was registered .

People at each others throats all the time ..
            It will not be put up with here ,Sorry .
            That is the rules and we will stick by them .

And as for younger kids , we have had some on here that have been working on a project (Festiva) long before they have had their drivers license.

Like a car was gave to them @14 and they come here for help to repair or to modify .

We love all of our members here and everybody respects the rules , there have been a few that have been banned for repeatedly breaking the rules , and they respect them now too. I hope you will also .
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by Bowls
              i have a terrible habit of swearing that i should break
              All I'm saying is that if you feel the need to cuss, then I can't really help ya with that. But there is no excuse for "accidentally" cursing on here because everyone should read over their posts and see if any editing needs to be done before they hit submit, not just because of language but it also helps eliminate posting about a link to a site and forgetting the link, or having confusing grammar that doesn't make sense. And there is always the edit button if you are always quick to hit submit... then just read the post and look for any errors or language that could be toned down and click edit and fix them accordingly. Just some friendly thoughts from a fellow member who wants to keep this place running language free like it has been for the past two years.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I know I swear too much also at home and on the job , but I know where and when it will be tolerated .

The people that do not like it , know to stay out of the Arena.

Like hatch said , you can post all day without using that language .

I know it make more of a statement or impact , I am right there with you on that one .
                the rules is one of the things that have made this site successful .

There are a few times that a word will slip , that happens , and that is why we usually give a warning or a reminder .
                It is when it becomes obvious that the person has no regard for the rules , we usually ban them .
                ------------------------------------------------
                The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I swear to much, and I try to bite my tongue on here as much as possible, but sometimes I slip up, and the guys are usually pretty leanent about it, and just edit my post and let me know.

I am LOVE the NO swearing rule. It makes our community more of a family environment, and more friendly. If you want to call someone out, and use weak words (swearing) go to the arena section that is what it is for.

Comment

I will do my best to not swear, most of the time i don't put words in unless they are something meaningful But, i will not go to the arena to simply swear, i'm against violence in any form that isn't entirely necessary. Fighting over whos car is better, well lets just say my opinion would be posted in the arena on that matter haha.
                    I'll go with the rules on no swearing at all, but i think the arena is an exception that should not be allowed, nothing but a place and a reason for people to go there to swear.

Comment

Here's the deal.. We can censor swearing automatically, it's built into phpbb.. BUT if we did that, it would be the WHOLE board not just specific forums. On the most part people respect and adhere to the rules.. I'd hate to implement something like that. I believe everyone should be responsible for their own actions and members should not have any of their decision making privileges removed because of a few people that can't adhere to the rules.

Comment

Please dont censor us.

Is it ok doing sh!t like this? Or @ss, fu<k

Oh yeah in real life I swear like a sailor/convict/factory worker. I try & not type them but sometimes its needed for emphasis. Thats why I use the above. Its like the blurred out parts on COPS. You know whats there you just cant see all the details.
                        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I'm all for the censoring, because its not like we're posting private information, or spilling our life story. But if theres to be no cursing at all, i'd rather there not be a single exception.
                          I'm a moderator on a forum that uses censors, and i find it extremely effective. If u take away the ability to swear, then people are less inclined to do it. rather than just punish them, because look at it like speeding. You only stop doing it when ur afraid of getting caught or beause u were caught already right?

Comment

Yeah but there is the area "the arena" in which we can piss & moan all we want to blow off some steam.
                            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Re: Forum rules

Originally posted by Bowls
                              I realise there are words that are prejudice and offensive and or crude, but the word i used happens to every human being like everyday of his life.
                              Some people find it offensive. Some people never use that word. Some people don't even like the word crap. Some people think that when you use explitives every other word it makes you sound uneducated. I for one am very glad ff.com has the no cursing rule. My nephews come on here and some are well under 16. My severe point of view is not common I'm sure, but not everyone uses foul language everyday either. Would you use that language around grandmothers or a judge? I could give a list of reasons for not cursing, but just save it for the arena. I go there and read stuff folks write, and reply even, but I still don't curse even there.
                              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                              X