JDM Engine Silliness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDM Engine Silliness.

I've been hunting around for an engine for a little while now, and I've narrowed my choice down to donor car, or JDM import. I looked into rebuilds, and even with my discount I'd still be looking at a $3000 tab for a 1.3. Yikes.

So, I called up one of the local companies that supplies JDM engines to ask them about DOHC Japanese variants. They're offering low mileage, solid engines for under $1500. Hell, the have a BPT (220hp!) for $950.

B5 DOHC, B8ME, etc were asked about. What response did I get? "None of those engine were made without a turbo." What a doofus.

It makes me wonder if they actually want my business.

$950 for a low mileage BPT?! Might be worth me driving all the way up to calgary if my tax refund is good this year
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

37 hours one way... 2400+ miles. I'm sure Jim & I would at least buy you lunch
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

If it's rated at 220hp it's not a BPT...if you're lucky it might be a BPD.
        Www.gemstatepestsolutions.com

Comment

^^^ yep thats what I was thinking when I saw the 220HP rating, but I didn't want to say anything cause I'm halfway serious about driving up there lol, and I didn't want anyone else to snap it up before me. I've been looking for a good excuse for a good long roadtrip, I'm not scared of the driving
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Even then it isn't a "BPD" because it came with 210HP, not 220HP. Chances are the guy at the shop doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, like usual.
            * Retired Festiva-er*
            1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
            B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Yup, rechecked it. It's 176hp. There are two shops in town that have BP turbos right now. The other one's $1200usd. I don't know if you'd really want to do business with these people though.

Comment

Where did you find the 1.3 DOHC?
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

No DOHC that I saw, all B3 SOHC

Comment

try this. 1.3 an 1.6 liter blocks are identical. 1.3 pistons are 78 odd mm an 1.6 psitons are 83 mm. the twin cam head will bolt to a 1.3 and i m considering doing it provided i can come up withe 4 digit sum needed for custom pistons. japan was the only place ive seen quoted as offering the dohc 1.3 an they are stupid rare.
                      is not sposed ta do that...
                      05 subaru legacy gt
                      1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
                      1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

Yes they are rare, they came in Festiva GTX model's.
                        Brian
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                        :fish:

Comment

1.3L 1300cc DOHC 16 valves have slight different water pump design and timing belt than B3/B6 SOHC engine. It pretty fast alike Suzuki Swift GTI and able do direct swap with US Ford Festiva. I wish I could post some pictures close up with 1.3L DOHC engine from Festiva GTX but too bad I lost all worthy pictures due my hard drive dead!.

Comment

I never did find a 1.3 DOHC. The 1.3 I mentioned was a bone stock reman engine. Considering that, the price is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                            X